Men’s hoops ride two game win-streak to MAACs

Giuseppe D’Aloisio Assistant Sports Editor

After dropping six of their last seven games by a combined 11 points, the Iona College men’s basketball team is heading into the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament on a two-game winning streak.

With emotions at an all-time high, Iona honored their four seniors, guard Lamont Jones, guard Curtis Dennis, forward Nyandigisi Moikobu and forward Taaj Ridley in their final career home game at the Hynes Center against MAAC rivals, the Siena Saints.

The Maroon & Gold had control from the opening tip and did not trail at all throughout the game. All four seniors were on the score sheet in the first-half. Dennis led the way off the bench with 11 points, including a three-pointer with 29 seconds remaining in the half to put Iona ahead by 17 points (38-21). He shot 3-of-4 from three-point range and 4-of-5 shooting from the field.

Iona was able to take advantage of Siena’s mistakes, scoring 16 points off of the Saints’ 13 turnovers.

Siena was able to cut the lead to nine points twice early in the second-half, but the Gaels answered back quickly. A 10-0 run with eight minutes remaining into the second-half put Iona ahead by 21 points (64-43). The Gaels took a 24 point lead (80-56), their largest of the game, with 49 seconds remaining to clinch an 80-61 victory.

A total team effort was evident with five Iona players scoring in double-figures. Jones led the way with 16 points. Ridley and Dennis each scored 14 points, sophomore forward David Laury scored 13 points, secured 7 rebounds and had 5 assists. Junior guard Sean Armand scored 11 points in the victory, hitting three three-pointers for the first time in four games.

Ridley spoke about how important bringing home a MAAC title would be for the team and Iona.

“It would mean a lot to us, especially with the slump we’ve been in,” Ridley said. “Winning the MAAC would mean a lot to our organization, our school and our team, so we’re going to go to Springfield and try to win three in a row.”

Senior forward O.D. Anosike led the Saints with 17 points on 6-of-9 shooting from the field and 5-of-6 from the free-throw line, along with 8 rebounds.

Head Coach Tim Cluess spoke about the significance of the game.

“It’s huge for our guys. It puts the other stuff a little bit more of a distant memory for you,” Cluess said. “We’ve done it twice in a row and this is the first game I think in the league that we won by this many this year.”

Earlier in the weekend, the Gaels welcomed the Loyola Greyhounds to the Hynes Center in a pivotal match-up in the final stretch of the season.

Iona took an 11 point lead (25-14) with 10:27 remaining in the first-half, their largest of the game with the help of Jones, shooting 3-for-3 from three-point range. Jones finished the half shooting 50 percent from the field and three-point range, along with hitting two free-throws to lead Iona with 13 points.

Sophomore guard Tavon Sledge was a spark plug defensively in the first half, giving the Gaels much of the momentum. Sledge had four steals and three rebounds in the first 20 minutes of play. Iona was also able to limit Loyola’s leading scorer, junior Dylon Cormier to zero points in the first-half. Cormier only played eight minutes because of foul trouble.

“They came out with great intensity in the beginning of the game and we had a lot of energy and we used it the right way,” Cluess said. “I thought the way we came out was a big indicator of how we were going to play the game.”

However, Loyola was able to rally behind graduate student forward Anthony Winbush (10 points) and senior guard Robert Olson (9 points) to go into the half tied at 36. The Greyhounds were able to take advantage of Iona’s eight turnovers and scored 12 points off of them.

In the opening six minutes of the second half, the Gaels and Greyhounds tied four times and exchanged leads four times.

Momentum finally swung completely in Iona’s favor once a missed three from Armand turned into a tremendous put-back dunk by junior guard Tre Bowman, which made the crowd erupt in cheer.

“We needed an electrifying play rather than the other team getting one,” Cluess said. “It turned the tide and just lifted our guys. The emotion of our guys got much better. They just played harder at that point. They had faith all of a sudden.”

The Gaels were able to close the game out with free throws defeating the Greyhounds, 90-86.

Iona had four players in double digits and shot a second-half season best 76 percent which played an essential role in the victory. Jones led the way, shooting 11-of-15 from the field, 4-of-7 from three-point range and 9-of-11 from the free-throw line for a game high 35 points.

Jones discussed the significance of the victory after the game.

“I think it was a confidence booster. I think we knew we had it in us all along,” Jones said. “We had a great crowd. Our fans, our school did a great job promoting the game tonight and a lot of people came out to support us, we came out and got a big win.”

Ridley contributed with 15 points on 6-of-9 shooting and 3-of-4 from the free-throw line, along with four rebounds.

Laury played a very good all-around game, shooting 7-of-9 from the field for 14 points, along with eight rebounds, six assists and two blocks. Bowman’s play off the bench, scoring 13 points and securing six rebounds made the difference, along with his big-time dunk in the much needed victory.

Olson and graduate student forward Erik Etherly scored 23 points each and Winbush scored 20 in a losing effort for the Greyhounds.

Prior to the start of their win streak, the Gaels suffered a 65-64 loss at the Hullman Center against the Indiana State Sycamores in their Ramada Worldwide Bracketbusters game.

Indiana State was able to get ahead early with a 7-0 run four minutes into the game (15-6) to go ahead nine points. However, the Gaels stormed back on 9-1 run to tie the game 16-16, which set the pace for a back and forth match-up.

Iona trailed at the half 30-22, their lowest scoring performance of the season in the first-half. Their low scoring was due to their season worst 23.3 percent shooting from the field and 12.5 percent from three-point range.

The Sycamores took a 10-point lead, their largest of the game with the first basket of the second-half (32-22). Ridley hit a free-throw with about 13 minutes left to give the Gaels their first lead of the half (43-42).

Armand tied the game for the eleventh time, then gave Iona a 64-63 lead after going two-for-two at the free-throw line with nine seconds left. However, on the ensuing possession, Sycamores’ junior guard Dawon Cummings made a lay-up to win the game for Indiana State.

Indiana State had four starters in double-figures. Junior forward RJ Mahurin led the Sycamores with 16 points.

Jones led Iona with a game high 26 points. Ridley contributed with 16 points and eight rebounds.

The Gaels will be back in action March 9 against the Canisius Golden Griffins in Springfield, MA in the MAAC Tournament.

“They’re a very good basketball team,” Cluess. “It’s going to be a tough match up, so it’s going to be exciting. We’re looking forward to getting there and playing.”