Women’s basketball ends regular season strong

Scoring 1,000 career points is an impressive feat for anyone. To reach this plateau as a sophomore is exceptional. Sophomore guard Damika Martinez did just that on March 3.

Martinez scored 22 points in Iona’s 76-63 victory at Rider. This brings her career total to 1,008. She is the first Iona women’s basketball player to reach this achievement as a sophomore and only the fourth in school history (men’s or women’s).

The Gaels (18-11 overall, 13-5 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) led the entire game and were up 39-28 at halftime. The Maroon & Gold opened up a 12-point lead midway through the first half after a 10-0 run. Iona shot 45 percent from beyond the arc (9 for 20).

Freshman forward Joy Adams posted a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds. This was her 14th double-double of the season, the most by any freshman in the nation. Sophomore guard Aleesha Powell amassed 16 points and four rebounds.

This victory extends the Gaels’ winning streak to seven games. This is the longest winning streak for Iona since the 2010 season.

“The last seven games [the players] have kind of turned a corner and jived together and understand what it takes to win in the MAAC,” assistant coach Ashlee Kelly said. “Everyone has risen their play to another level.”

Prior to Iona’s victory at Rider, they defeated Manhattan 71-64 in a tough road atmosphere. The Gaels jumped out to a 10-2 lead. Then the Jaspers battled back and built an eight-point lead of their own. At this point, Iona reeled off a 13-2 run, which was sparked by back-to-back-to-back 3-pointers.

The two teams battled back and forth for a few minutes. With the score tied at 32, the Gaels scored 13 straight points late in the first half and led 45-37 at halftime. They led the entire second half. The Maroon & Gold forced 21 Jasper turnovers and converted that to 32 points off turnovers.

Adams led the way with 16 points and a career-high 19 rebounds. She amassed 13 points and 11 rebounds in the first half. Powell compiled 13 points and five assists. Junior center Sabrina Jeridore, redshirt junior guard Haley D’Angelo, and Martinez added 10 points apiece.

“We had each other’s back, and we were focused,” senior guard Diana Hubbard said.

Preceding these two road victories, Iona knocked off Siena 71-47 at the Hynes Center. Prior to the game, head coach Anthony Bozzella honored the program’s two seniors (Hubbard and Jiya Dorcas-Eya) as well as senior manager Michael Ritz. He also acknowledged the seniors on the dance team, cheerleading squad and Siena’s women’s basketball team.

The Gaels had four players in double figures, while the Saints did not have any. Adams led the way with another double-double of 16 points and 10 rebounds. Martinez posted 16 points and six rebounds. Powell compiled 15 points, seven assists, six rebounds and six steals. Hubbard contributed 10 points.

On Feb. 22, the Gaels topped Loyola 67-61 at home. The first half was close, and neither team established a lead bigger than five. The Gaels led 22-21 at the break.

After the Greyhounds scored the first basket of the second half to take a one-point lead, the Gaels answered with a 17-2 run to take a 39-25 lead. Loyola came charging back and pulled within two with 58 seconds left in the game, but never took the lead. Powell and Adams each nailed a pair of free throws in the final 15 seconds to put the game away.

Martinez netted a game-high 22 points and dished out five assists. Adams compiled 17 points, nine rebounds and five steals. D’Angelo recorded 11 points and seven assists.

The Gaels look to take the momentum of this seven-game winning streak into the MAAC Tournament in Springfield, Mass. They are the No. 2 seed and have a first-round bye. Iona will begin its quest for a MAAC Championship on March 8 at 9:30 a.m. against either No. 7 Canisius or No. 10 Saint Peter’s. The semifinals are on Saturday at 9:30 a.m., and the championship game is March 11 at noon.

“We have to play like we’ve been playing, consistently,” Jeridore said. “If we play like we have been, we’ll be successful.”