Mr. Iona crowned in competition to support HIV/AIDS research

Claire Maurer Assistant Arts & Entertainment Editor

The energy in Burke Lounge on March 25 was vibrant with excitement as Mr. Iona 2013 was chosen through a lively competition. After a long, combative evening full of talent and charm, sophomore Andrew Genuario took home the title of Mr. Iona 2013.

The 14th annual Mr. Iona competition was sponsored by Phi Gamma Chi and co-sponsored by the Student Government Association, the Edmund Rice Society and the Inter-Residence Council. All the profits went to HIV/AIDS research.

The competition was structured like a beauty pageant. There were four contestants up for the title: sophomore Michael Massimi, juniors Nelson Matias and Michael Suare and Genuario. Three Iona students served as the judges.

The first round of the competition was called “Iona Gear.” Each contestant was introduced as they walked down the center aisle flaunting their best Iona attire.

The next round consisted of each man showing off his talent. Genuario won over the crowd when he performed “the worm” as part of his dance routine to Sugar Hill Gang Apache’s song “Jump On It.”

Massimi recited a rap that he “wrote in class,” while Suare sang “She Will Be Loved” by Maroon 5. Although he forgot the words at first, he ended strong as he received a round of applause.

Matias changed into his karate suit for the talent portion of the night. He proceeded to break three wooden boards with his fist and leg for his talent, which left the crowd impressed as they cheered.

For the third and final round, the contestants dressed up in formal apparel and received an escort to lead them down the aisle before they answered a question that the judges asked.

At the end of this round, the audience discovered some interesting information about each competitor before the judges made their final decision.

After the three rounds were complete, the judges took a few minutes and then announced their results. Genuario was crowned the winner by just one vote.

Matias was runner up. After the winner was announced, he was given a crown, and the audience threw flowers.

“It feels good to win,” said Genuario after being dubbed Mr. Iona. “It is nice to know that Iona had a competition that brought so much school spirit. It is nice to know that that exists,” he said.

The Mr. Iona competition has been an annual event at Iona since 2000.

“The event has been successful every year, and we hoped this year would be too,” said senior Nicole Ketter, a member of Phi Gamma Chi. “All the profits go to HIV and AIDS research so we just hope a lot of people support us and we raise a lot of money for the cause.”

Considering the turnout and the excitement in Burke Lounge, the event proved to be a success. Perhaps Iona will be more spirited for the rest of the year now that it has a Mr. Iona.