Convocation promotes online learning

Kyle Byrne Staff Writer

On Sept. 9, Iona College held its annual Fall Convocation address, which included faculty awards and Keynote Speaker Dr. John F. Ebersole of Excelsior College.

The theme of this year’s convocation was how Iona can improve its online platform and business models by looking at trends, innovation and exploring new ideas.

In past convocation speeches, Iona College President Dr. Joseph E. Nyre addressed the administrative challenges Iona has faced. This year, Nyre was delighted to report good news.

Iona has reached record enrollment with 922 freshmen, 2180 full-time upperclassmen, including 115 full-time transfer students and 65 international students that make up the student body.

In total, fall enrollment is 106 percent of budget, giving the college a surplus.

Additionally, this was a record year of annual fundraising for Iona. Endowment has grown to $75 million, which supports student scholarships, faculty development, and partially funds the strategic plan.

Nyre also spoke about his trip to Washington D.C. over the summer to visit the editorial board of Inside Higher Education.

He said discussions ranged from college rankings to challenges facing higher education today and how Iona can address these issues.

The administration will present more on the strategic plan and the state of the college at the Town Hall meetings on Sept. 26 and Oct. 10.

Keynote speaker Ebersole is the President of Excelsior College in Albany N.Y., one of the oldest accredited, private, nonprofit distance education institutions in the country.

Ebersole has studied how to move institutions of higher education in new directions. He spoke about his perspective on what he called the “intersection of innovation and technology.”

Speaking on the potential benefits of online courses, Ebersole mentioned they could increase access to adults who need a degree, accelerate learning, reduce cost and create alternate pathways to learning.

In regards to the quality of an online education vs. a traditional classroom, Ebersole says research shows there is no difference in the quality of learning outcomes, but there is a difference in quality of the learning experience.

“There is no research whatsoever that says a classroom is the ideal place to learn,” he said.

Keeping in mind who his audience was, Ebersole admitted he made a provocative statement.

Iona already provides several fully online and hybrid courses. If the College decides to offer more online options, “what will make a course successful is its design,” said Ebersole. “One that appeals to different styles of learning, reinforces key concepts and requires students to demonstrate their understanding before they can move on to the next portion.”

In a higher education survey of students, Ebersole found the difference between completing a course or not, whether it be online or in the classroom, was having an instructor who cared.

“[Professors] need to convey a sense of concern for the student and their success,” he said.

During the Q&A session, an audience member asked about the success rate of students getting jobs and accepted into graduate programs that have online degrees.

Ebersole said results from the polling company Zogby International Inc. show that most employers don’t have a negative attitude towards online programs.

Plus, transcripts do not disclose how students receive their education.

Associate Professor of English Dr. Aaron Rosenfeld attended the convocation and was unimpressed by Ebersole’s message.

“The speaker’s reference to the fact that in today’s world half of our knowledge becomes obsolete every four years seemed odd at a college that prides itself on its connection to the Catholic intellectual tradition and the liberal arts,” Rosenfeld said. “I suppose the humanities are the other half?“

Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs Brian Nickerson said in this day and age, it is hard to imagine technology not having a large role in education.

“The college created a CELTIC committee to investigate possibilities to enhance digital based courses,” said Nickerson.

Implementation plans for online curriculum will be finalized by the end of this term for following semesters.

Junior Marci Dillion does not like the idea of online classes.

“I am a visual learner, and I need to have a one-on-one connection with my professors, otherwise I wont take the class seriously,” she said.

In addition to the speeches from Nyre and Ebersole, three professors were recognized for their outstanding accomplishments in their field and dedicated service to Iona.

Professor Sheila Kriemelman of the Fine & Performing Arts Department won the Adjunct Faculty Award, Professor Deborah Volberg Pagnotta of the Speech Communication Studies Department won the Junior Faculty Award and Professor Catherine Mapp of the Fine & Performing Arts Department won the Senior Faculty Award.