Skits O’Frenicks captivate and engage audience

Juniors Sean Lynch, Thomas Worden and Andrew Genuario improvise “Bad-Cop, Good-Cop.”

Alexandra Steinberg Staff Writer

The Iona Players Improv group, the Skits O’Frenicks, put on their first show of the year to a packed room full of enthusiastic comedy fans on Friday Aug. 30 in the LaPenta Student Union End Zone,

The night began with host sophomore Steven Pearce introducing six of the nine Skits O’Frenicks members: juniors Brynna Pawlows, Sean Lynch, Thomas Worden, Andrew Genuario, and seniors Andrew Casalino and Pieter Maddens.

They were separated into two groups, ‘the students’ and ‘the professors’. Each team would compete in improv games, or the teams would star in their own skits. In total, the group played 12 games.

The first game played was “Bad-Cop, Good-Cop.”One team member sat in a chair, while two “cops” interrogated them about the crime they committed. The seated member had to guess the crime they had made. Notable crimes were “Snapchats on the toilet,” “stole Christmas with the Grinch,” and “still carries a flip phone.”

Another game played was “Freeze Tag.” Four members took the stage. Two were put into starting positions by volunteers from the audience, while two members stood in the back.

The members put into place had to act out scenes from their positions. When someone wanted to join in on the scene, one would scream, “Freeze!” and the member would join the scene from the position of the frozen member.

The fifth game played was “Thought Bubble.” Worden, Lynch, Casalino and Genuario played. Two members acted out the scene of a first date at Walmart. They spoke the scene aloud. The other two members took microphones and would add what each character was thinking. This lead to the hilarious scene of a couple’s first date buying toothpaste in Walmart.

After a small intermission, the members came back to play a game called “What Are You Doing?” The playing members had to respond to questions with only two words, which had to begin with specific letters, determined by the audience.

One of the funnier letter combinations was S and D, but raunchy combinations were successfully avoided by the players.

One of the funniest moments from the night came from “The Objection Game.” One member told a story about their day or an event that happened to them, and another member listening could object and explain how one of their facts is false.

If the objection was deemed good enough, it was sustained, and that member would continue their story. If the objection wasn’t funny enough, it was overruled.

One of the stories got onto the topic of freedom. Andrew Genuario took the opportunity to express his love for America by objecting and explaining, “In America, we’re always free!”

The group then got on stage and started to sing the “Star Spangled Banner.” The audience then stood up, put their hands over their hearts, and sang along to the song as well. The moment was purely improvisational and captured the magic of improv.

The Skits O’Frenicks are looking for new members. If you can come up with jokes on the spot, or if you love the limelight, then try out. Auditions are Sept. 23 and 24 in the Doorley auditorium.

The Skits O’s are also looking for an Iona student to design their new logo. The winner will see their logo on the Skits O’Frenicks Facebook page and on a T-shirt. The winner will receive a free t-shirt. Contact Kevin Towler for more information at [email protected].