Students celebrate Homecoming weekend right

Roberto Cutino Staff Writer

Homecoming at Iona is a time for students, parents and alumni to enjoy campus and all that it has to offer. It is always a nostalgic experience for alumni to walk through the campus that was a major part of their lives in previous years.

It is a time to reconnect with old friends but also a time to relive old memories and make new ones. Events like the Heritage Tour gave parents a brief history of the entire campus while covering the new things that have been added.

“Meet the Gaels” men’s basketball team, was another highlight of the weekend as the team heads into the season looking to repeat as MAAC champions. A chance to meet the players was something that should not have been missed.

Another memorable event that took place over the weekend was the Oktoberfest Garden, where parents, alumni and students over 21 were invited to take part in a beer tasting and barbecue.

Mazzella Field was the center of many different events that included alumni games and games for the women’s lacrosse team and women’s soccer team. At the Gael Parents Association Breakfast, attendees could meet the Provost and get involved as a parent to support the school and its students.

Even children were encouraged to get involved in the festivities. The Fall Family Carnival, pumpkin patch and hay rides ensured that children were not left out as they collected pumpkins, took hay rides and played carnival games.

Maroon Madness was also an extremely important part of the Homecoming experience.

“For me, I would say Maroon Madness was the most memorable thing about the weekend,” junior Erika Perez said. “It was just filled with energy and school spirit. Homecoming is like a giant school wide celebration of our school pride.”

Fellow junior Daniel McLendon has been interested in soccer for as long he can remember. Homecoming provided him with an opportunity to enjoy one of his favorite sports.

“I really enjoy soccer so attending the soccer game on that Saturday was very memorable,” McLendon said.

He also attended Maroon Madness. “The gym was going crazy,” he said. “I can only imagine what the atmosphere is going to be like during our home basketball games.”

Senior Matt Harrigan, Chair of Gaels Activity Board, spent a lot of time preparing the events of Homecoming.

“Homecoming means a time where different members of Iona’s community, past and present, come together to celebrate the excellence of the school that we love so much,” Harrigan said.

Each Homecoming is an opportunity for the Iona community to improve the bonds that they already have and make new ones.