Complain away

James Ramaley Contributing Writer

Iona introduced a new Student Grievance and Complaint Policy this semester that offers students an additional way to voice their complaints.

The Student Government Association, along with all other areas of governance at the college, passed the policy.

“[The policy] was created as a response to reviewing the governance issues for Middle States and there was no formal policy in place as to how a student could file a complaint or grievance for a specific issue that did not have a stated policy,” said Vice Provost for Student Life, Charles J. Carlson.

Previously, the only formal procedures for filing a complaint or grievance existed if the specific issue was covered in the Code of Conduct or under the College’s Grade Appeals policy.

The new policy is in the Student Handbook and on the Iona website and includes information related to how and where students can obtain the necessary forms.

“The main objective was to inform our students as to how and where to file a complaint,” Carlson said. “It was done to provide clear guidance to our students.”

The policy presents a new course of action for students who wish to address an issue pertaining to any area of the college.

When the student has a concern about a college rule or regulation that impacts their education at Iona, the student can use this procedure.

The procedure is there “to resolve problems as quickly and efficiently as possible at the level closest to the student so the students’ educational progress can continue with the least amount of disruption,” according to the student handbook.

The hope is that students can work out their problems or concerns with the appropriate staff or faculty member that is involved.

If this is not possible, a third party may be involved as a mediator for the situation.

The staff member or members have ten working days to resolve the issues with the student and others involved.

If the student is dissatisfied with the complaint process then the student involved may file a grievance.

Students are glad to have a way to voice their concerns, regardless of what they are.

“I feel like it makes [students] safer and better able to speak how you feel,” said senior Sam Stablein.

Grievance policy forms may be found in the Office of Student Life, the Dean of Arts and Sciences office or the Dean of the Hagan School of Business’s office.

The new Student Grievance and Complaint Policy can be found on page 87 of the student handbook.