Men’s soccer enters MAAC play

Giuseppe D’Aloisio Sports Editor

The Iona College men’s soccer team completed its non-conference schedule with a bang. The Gaels defeated the Fairleigh Dickinson University Knights 3-1 at Mazzella Field on Sept. 28.

Iona was quickly on the attack and took a 1-0 lead eight minutes into the game. Freshman midfielder Alex Ramos passed the ball to senior teammate Samuel Adjei, who sent the ball across the box. Senior Franklin Castellanos got behind his defender and struck the ball on a volley into the bottom left corner past the Knights senior goalie Jacob Lissek for his fourth goal of the season.

The Knights fought back and took advantage of an Iona defensive mistake to even the match 1-1. In the 25th minute, the Gaels were unable to clear the ball, and Knights’ freshman Christian Dietrich put a through ball behind the Gaels’ defense, and junior Manny Calixto netted his first goal of the season.

The Maroon & Gold did not wait long to retake the lead; Just over a minute later, Knights goalie Lissek failed to record a save after Castellanos past the ball in the box. Sophomore forward Jannick Martens swooped into the box, took the ball away and easily put the ball in the back of an empty net.

In the 70th minute, Castellanos used his speed to get past his defender and found Martens in the middle of the box. Martens took a shot, which found its way to junior Ignacio Maganto who finished easily.

The victory was crucial for the Gaels as they wrap up their non-conference schedule with a 3-4-1 record heading into Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) play.

“It’s really important because we were coming from a three-game losing streak, and we needed to bounce back,” Castellanos said. “Now we are going in with confidence and excitement for our first MAAC game.”

The Gaels will open conference play on Oct. 5 against Quinnipiac University in Hamden, Conn. This is Quinnipiac’s first season competing in the MAAC. The Bobcats were picked sixth in the MAAC Preseason Coaches’ Poll.

“I don’t really know much about them, but any team in the MAAC can be dangerous,” Castellanos said.

Prior to the pivotal victory over Fairleigh Dickinson, the Gaels were defeated at home 3-0 by the Delaware University Blue Hens on Sept. 25.

Sophomore forward Joe Dipre put the Blue Hens on the scoreboard in the third minute with a shot from outside the box. The Blue Hens scored their second goal right before the halftime whistle when freshman forward Jaime Martinez put one in the back of the net. Dipre scored his second and final goal of the match in the 49th minute.

On Sept. 21, the Gaels traveled to Oneonta, N.Y. where they were defeated by the Hartwick College Hawks 1-0.

The lone goal of the match came in the 46th minute from Hawks freshman forward Max Walcott, for his second of the year.

Both teams finished the match with nine shots. Iona had six corner kicks compared to Hartwick’s four. Iona goalkeeper Julian Petrello made five saves in the contest.

Iona will play its next home game on Oct.12 against Rider University in its first MAAC home game of the season.

“Our goal is to win the conference and the MAAC tournament, so were definitely excited and focused,” Castellanos said.