Golf gains experience in fall season

Harvey Garcia Staff Writer

Golf is a game in which experience garners success. The Iona College golf team is figuring this out the hard way.

The Gaels competed in the Iona College Quad Match on Sept. 16. Juniors Taylor Bellemare and Tom McHugh were the Gaels’ top performers; they tied for second carding 74 (+4). Freshman Stefan Cygan finished tied for eighth and shot a 77 (+7). Freshman Brian Fitzpatrick finished in 17th place scoring an 83 (+13).

“Cygan has played better out of our two freshmen, but he could be playing a lot better. He shot a 77, he should be shooting a 73 or 74,” head coach Chris Merce said.

The plan for the fall season was to provide the freshmen with a significant amount of playing time. This has provided Cygan and Fitzpatrick an opportunity to gain experience and to develop their talent.

Senior Jordan Kral scored an 84 (+14) in his 18th place finish. The Gaels as a team scored a 308 (+28), two strokes behind Fairleigh Dickinson University.

After the Iona Quad Match, the Maroon & Gold traveled to South Kent, Conn. on Sept. 23 and 24 to participate in the three-round Hartford Hawks Invitational. The Gaels played two rounds on the opening day.

It was very windy and cold at the Hartford Hawks Invitational. As a result, most scores were high. The Gaels, as a team, scored 639 (+63) as they sat in 17th place through two rounds. Bellemare’s two-day total was 157 (+13). McHugh posted a 159 (+15). Cygan was 21 over par with a 165. Fitzpatrick had a 167 (+22) through the second day.

“Hartford wasn’t our best showing, but there were very good teams participating,” Merce said.

A majority of the participating teams, such as first place finisher Rutgers University, had more experienced lineups than that of the Gaels.

The Gaels scored a 319 in the third round for an overall score of 958 as they finished in 16th place. Bellemare tied for 56th scoring a third round 79 (+7) and an overall 236 (+20). McHugh tied for 66th after a final round 79 (+7) put him at 238 (+22) for the tournament. Finishing tied for 73rd was junior Evan DeLuca with 242 (+26). Cygan came in 84th with an overall 246 (+30). Fitzpatrick tied for 87th carding a 248 (+32).

According to Merce, the team’s lack of experience is one of the main reasons for their poor performance at the Hartford tournament. The mental errors the players make lead to big numbers.

“What separates the good players, in college or on tour, you got to play the par 5s well and limit your mistakes,” Merce said.

Without a particular player putting up exceptional numbers, the team together will have to consistently score in the low to mid 70s if they expect to compete for a title this season. The Gaels are hoping to gain the experience they need in the fall season in order to contend for the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) crown in the spring.

The Gaels will next hit the links on Oct. 14 and 15 when they compete in the Connecticut Cup in Ellington, Conn.