Graduating doesn’t have to lead to an immediate career

Living the Iona mission does not necessarily end after graduation. On Oct. 22 students were introduced to several postgraduate opportunities at the annual volunteer panel sponsored by the Gerri Ripp Center for Career Development and the Office of Mission and Ministry.

The event introduced students to six different volunteer organizations, both faith-based and secular: Good Shepherd Volunteers, Peace Corps, Jesuit Volunteer Corps, Christian Brothers Volunteer Program, LAMP Ministries and City Year New York. The panel was intended to provide students with information on the alternative opportunities available after graduation.

Senior Eva Renski, who attended the panel, was one student interested in these opportunities.

“After graduation, I want to dedicate a year to service work, in order to figure out exactly what I want to do with my life, in terms of a career, and give back while I try to figure it out,” said Renski. “[This opportunity] allows for recent grads to take time to really figure out what they want to do with their life and inspire them to change the world, in big and small ways.”

Representatives of the various organizations at the event discussed what their programs do, the application process, and the benefits of volunteering.

Catholic faith-based programs such as Good Shepherd Volunteers and the Jesuit Volunteer Corps volunteers serve various social service ministries that help marginalized populations, such as victims of domestic violence, children and refugees, while living with other volunteers.

Other secular programs serve those in need through different means. Peace Corps volunteers live and work in developing countries and help the people in these countries to build better lives. City Year focuses on helping students who are at risk of dropping out of school. It is an intensive mentoring program in a number of cities across the country, including nearby Mount Vernon.

Alumna Erika Enlund, representing the Christian Brothers Volunteers, reminded students not to overlook such a great opportunity.

“Whatever your major is, don’t get stuck in one path. Think of doing a year of service,” said Enlund.

Some students already realize the inherent benefits related to participating in such a program.

“I think that there are so many benefits to volunteering after graduation. It is the perfect time to do something like this, before being tied down to a career, a family, or other obligations that might get in the way,” said Renski.

Helping others is not the only incentive to take a year off and volunteer; such experience can also translate to grad school applications and the job market. Volunteering is the perfect way to build a favorable skill set, gain connections, and also provides an interesting addition to a resume that may spark conversation during an interview.

Overall the panelists wanted to drive home the fact that most people volunteer because they want to help others, not themselves. It takes an empathetic, tolerant, and caring person to give a year of his time to help others.

“We’re here because we believe in making a difference,” said Natasha Hunter-McGregor, a principal in the Mount Vernon City School District and representative of City Year New York. “It’s not work, it’s just what you’re about; you will be defined by what you give back.”

For more information about year-long volunteer opportunities, contact Carl Procario-Foley ([email protected]) or Stephen Hill ([email protected]).