Hollywood takes over campus

Iona campus turned into a film set as crews set up to shoot for an upcoming movie.

Filming began on Sept. 19 and lasted for three days, shooting scenes for “Listen Up Philip,” an independent feature currently in production.

The decision to film on campus came abruptly and much to the surprise of excited students.

A Campus Communiqué was released the day prior to filming, notifying the Iona community of the crew’s presence.

Many members of the community were excited about the news, yet everyone was wondering: why Iona?

“[Our] beautiful campus and proximity to New York City makes it an attractive location for film companies,” said Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration Anne Marie Schettini-Lynch. “On occasion, the College receives inquiries about the availability of our campus. We evaluate these requests to ensure we can accommodate them and ensure the story line does not conflict with Iona’s image and mission.”

According to the film’s location manager Kacey Chapin, other colleges were also in the running.

However, Chapin said Iona eventually won out, due to the appeal of the campus’ traditional look.

The film crew was spread across campus for three days and some of the most recognizable and heavily trafficked areas of campus were chosen for filming, including the Cornelia Quad, Hagan Hall and Ryan Library.

Driscoll Hall was also used during production as the holding area for extras, actors, hair and makeup and served as the location for the crew’s mobile office.

Students would probably never have imagined that their classroom in Hagan Hall or their favorite study spot in Ryan Library would get national attention.

Students were also separately emailed by administrators about the opportunity to serve as an extra in the film.

A number of students were eager to participate and couldn’t pass up the chance to shine on the big screen.

Students were especially excited about the fact that well-known actor Jason Schwartzman was on site.

Senior Kiara Mendez was one of the student extras.

“[It] was very exciting. Being on a movie set and seeing Jason Schwartzman, who I’ve seen in movies before, was a great experience,” said Mendez. “The actors seemed very laid back and funny. Jason always had funny comments while and after the cameras were rolling. I was also fortunate enough to sit behind one of the actors in a classroom scene.”

The on-location shoot was an exceptional asset to Iona, helping to further implement the college’s new Strategic Plan.

“This [was] a good opportunity for maximizing campus facilities for additional revenues [and] it’s also potentially an avenue to spread awareness of Iona College nationally and beyond,” according to the Campus Communiqué.

“Listen Up Philip” is an independent feature written and directed by Alex Ross Perry.

The somewhat dark comedy stars Schwartzman, previously seen in movies such as “Fantastic Mr. Fox” and “Moonrise Kingdom,” as well as Elisabeth Moss, who is best known for her role in the TV series “Mad Men.”

According to information from the film’s prospectus and electronic press kit, the storyline follows young writer Philip Louis Friedman (Schwartzman), whose emotional issues and poor life choices end up turning the lives of those around him upside down, including that of his girlfriend (Moss).

The film culminates in Philip having to make the important decision “between doing the right thing and honoring the feelings of others, or going with his instinct and looking out only for himself while leaving a trail of emotional devastation,” according to the electronic press kit.

“Listen Up Philip” is expected to be released in 2014. “I look forward to seeing our faces on the big screen,” said Mendez.