Players shine in Woody Allen comedy

Senior Pieter Maddens acted as assistant director, and junior Sean Lynch as director.

The Iona Players received many laughs for their rendition of Woody Allen’s comedy, “Don’t Drink the Water.”

Junior Sean Lynch directed the play, which ran for four nights Oct. 24- 27 in Doorley Auditorium.

Over 40 people auditioned, but only 14 roles were available for filling.

“Once I saw the people trying out, I was really impressed,” said Lynch. “I saw certain people and I knew that they were going to be in this play.”

Lynch chose the play because he’s a fan of Allen’s work.

“I really enjoyed the humor in it,” said Lynch. “I really enjoyed the timing. Timing is what makes a play funny.”

The comedy takes place in a U.S. Embassy in an unnamed European country behind the Iron Curtain.

Ambassador Magee, played by senior Andrew Casalino, leaves the embassy on a business trip and leaves his failure of a son Axel, played by sophomore Steven Pearce, in charge.

Shortly after the ambassador leaves, the vacationing Hollander family runs into the embassy seeking refuge from the Communist police after taking photos in a restricted area.

Walter Hollander, played by freshman Alexander Fasano, worries about his catering career and his wife, Marion, played by freshman Christina Farah, worries about their son that is at home at summer camp. Their daughter Susan, played by freshman Amanda Moneta, worries about how she hasn’t told her family that she has canceled her wedding with her fiancé back home.

“Don’t Drink the Water” is Fasano’s first play with the Iona Players.

“It was difficult transferring from high school theater to college theater,” said Fasano. “It was hard to keep up!”

Communist police head Krojack, played by Najee Barnes, believes that the Hollander family are United States spies and tries his best to get them to leave the embassy and get them killed.

As the Hollander family stays in the embassy, a slew of characters are introduced, all of which were played to hilarious perfection.

Father Drobney, played by junior Andrew Genuario, has stayed as a refugee in the embassy for six years, and in that time has become a magician.

Chef Hatami, played by senior Greg Bonistalli, cooks the rabbit that Father Drobney was using in one of his acts.

Axel and Susan soon fall in love with each other, much to Walter’s dismay.

In an attempt to flee the country, Axel and Susan come up with an idea to disguise the family as guests at an upcoming party for the Sultan of Bashir, played by freshman Kelvin Najarro, and have them leave with a large group of guests.

Hilarity ensues when Walter and Marion must use fake identities at the party. Walter slips up and completely forgets his identity when talking to other guests.

“The party scene was my favorite scene, especially when I’m in the large coat and the gun falls out of it,” said Fasano.

Walter and Marion eventually make it out of the embassy and back to the United States, while Susan is granted diplomatic immunity when she marries Axel.

The Players once again delivered a solid show that had the audience laughing and cheering them on night after night. The full auditorium was an indicator of the true talent that shined last weekend in “Don’t Drink the Water.”