New gallery exhibition explores nature in art

Michelle Muzzio Staff Writer

Nature has always inspired artists. Iona offers a picturesque view of nature every fall, so it makes sense that the Brother Kenneth Chapman Gallery in the Iona College Arts Center would also attempt to capture the transcendence of nature.

The opening reception of “Nature: Two Views” on Oct. 27 welcomed Iona students and faculty, high school students and community members to a new dialogue about nature. The featured artists were Shelley Haven and Shane McAdams, who explored the relationship between the artist and nature using the latter as inspiration in two different ways.

Physical chemistry professor Dr. Jerome Levkov introduced Haven to the Council on the Arts while President Joseph E. Nyre and his wife, Kelli, introduced McAdams to the Council. Originally, the two artists submitted their work to be showcased separately, but the Council saw an opportunity to show them together.

“I was skeptical at first when I heard our work would be shown together,” said McAdams. “However, when I saw Shelley’s work and mine together on the wall, I realized that the works amplify each other. They engage in dialogue.”

This dialogue is present throughout the show. While Haven’s work focuses on her experiences living and hiking in the Alps, McAdam’s pieces conquer the American southwest. Though born from two different elements, the art becomes a cohesive impetus of conversation about time, inspiration and nature.

Iona students from various disciplines and backgrounds attended the gallery opening and began to participate in the dialogue.

Freshman Andrew Carley is a chemistry major and has already visited the gallery on campus multiple times in between writing lab reports.

“I like art,” said Carley. “Haven’s pieces remind me of a vacation I went on to Costa Rica. Her work is universal.”

Seniors Kenia De Los Santos and Bianca Lugo both attended the opening for class. Neither one of them had ever stepped into the gallery before. They stood in front of “Synthetic Landscape 25 (Vanishing Point)” by McAdams, engrossed by the artist’s painstaking use of detail.

“You get so busy that you never find time to relax in front of a painting,” said Lugo. “I wish I came here before now.”

JoAnn Murphy, the chair of the Council, spoke and shared how she hopes the gallery, especially this current exposition, will impact students.

“Many students have not gotten to experience art like this,” said Murphy. “Art goes to the soul. In here, students are not going to get graded. Art makes a whole person,” she said.

Senior Morgan Shelby noticed the importance of the pieces presented. Staring at “Synthetic Landscape 46 (Pit Mine)” by McAdams, nature made her feel immense emotion. Shelby said, “Looking at this, I feel terrified and relaxed at the same time.”

This notion of emotion is one that the coordinator of art programming as well as Chapman Gallery director, Madalyn Barbero- Jordan, hopes to inspire in Iona students.

“Every individual has a completely different emotional response to each piece,” said Barbero-Jordan.

However, this kind of emotion can only be garnered if students are aware and care about the events happening on their campus.

“Students should have more of an input on the Council,” said Barbero-Jordan.

Iona students can contribute their input by contacting Barbero-Jordan directly or any of the student representatives on the Council.

“Nature: Two Views” will be on display at the Iona College Arts Center until Dec. 5.