Iona to purchase new property

William Nolan Staff Writer

Iona informed the Gael community that the school has agreed to purchase the property at 654 North Avenue, better known as Cannone’s or Campus Wings.

The transaction will be completed by Oct. 23 according to the press release that was emailed to students on Sept. 23.

“The property’s long-term use will be determined by Iona’s campus master planning process,” according to the press release.

This acquisition raises questions among students, some of whom are upset by the prospect of losing Cannone’s. Cannone’s is one of the few nearby restaurants that are open late at night.

Junior Dave Aburto said he would be devastated if Cannone’s is forced out of business.

“That’s like, my favorite place to eat. I probably eat there too much,” he said. “It would be really sad if it wasn’t a part of Iona’s meal plan anymore.”

Junior Jean-Bernard Bottex said he would rather see a residence hall there than Cannone’s.

“If I lived on campus I would be worried about the fate of Cannone’s, but I’m not on the meal plan so it doesn’t really affect me,” Bottex said. “I don’t really care what goes there, but if the school was smart they’d build a bagel shop.”

Even students who don’t necessarily eat at the long-standing pizza shop said they would be sad to see it go.

“I’ll probably end up missing Cannone’s once it’s gone but right now I feel like it’s not that big of a deal,” said Sam Glusker, sophomore.

A public meeting will be held on Oct. 7 to share updates on the school’s master plan process and other development interests on North Avenue. The meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in the Romita Auditorium in Ryan Library.