Cross country adds to MAAC championship streak

Andrew Jordan Assistant Sports Editor

There are few teams in any sport that can claim to have the success that Iona’s men’s cross country program has achieved.

The holder of the longest active championship streak in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), the Gaels earned their 23rd straight Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) championship.

Despite having the most dominant program in the MAAC, the success that the men’s cross country team has achieved does not lose value with time, even though they have won every MAAC championship since 1991.

“It is a really awesome feeling [to win the MAAC.] Especially considering it was the fourth time that I got to experience a conference win,” senior Quinn Raseman said. “Even though we have a win streak of 23 consecutive championships, we do not take it for granted; each year it is just as special.”

For the eighth time in the MAAC championships, the Gaels achieved a perfect score of 15.

The top six finishers in the championship were all Iona runners; freshman Kieran Clements finished first with a time of 25:27.94. He became the 12th consecutive Iona runner to win the title of first place finisher in the MAAC championship. Additionally, he is the 18th Gael to win the title of first place finisher at the MAAC championships.

Seniors Daniel Clorley and Matthew Gillespie finished second and third with respective times of 25:28.28 and 25:28.44. Junior Jake Byrne ended the race with a time of 25:28.71, while sophomore Mike O’Dowd placed fifth at 25:36.85. Junior Andrew Kowalsky ended the race in sixth place at 25:37.63.

The Gaels had three other runners place inside of the top 20 finishers. Senior Chris Stogsdill placed 11th with a finishing time of 26:18.07. Raseman placed 14th at 26:23.15, while senior Jimmy Tarsnane completed the race in 19th, with a time of 26:47.49.

“This win will always stand out in my memory because of the teammates that we have this year,” Raseman said. “I get to train with my best friends every day. I could not ask for a better group of guys.”

Not to be outdone, the women’s cross country team continued their success in the MAAC championships with a ninth straight title.

“It feels awesome to bring home the title to Iona and to extend our winning streak,” senior Katie Niblock said.

Leading the way for the women was sophomore Kate Avery, who continued her strong form from this season with a first place finish at a time of 21:07.14.

Freshman Maya Rehberg finished second overall at a time of 22:06.59. Seniors Kirsten Stewart (fourth) and Niblock (fifth) finished with respective times of 22:14.15 and 22:45.25.

The Gaels’ success came down to being able to execute their coaches’ game plan come race day according to Niblock.

With the MAAC portion of the schedule now complete, both the men and women’s teams will compete in regionals, which will take place at Van Cortland Park on Nov. 15.