Who will you vote for? SGA Candidate Platforms (’14-’15)

President

Carl Funaro ‘15

When I first arrived to Iona I was an overbearing, obnoxious, and somewhat careless seventeen year old. As I’ve spent the last two and a half years here at Iona, I’ve evolved, as I’m sure many of you have too. I’ve made mistakes. I’ve had missteps. I’ve made a few decisions that I’m not all that proud of along the way. However, they’ve made me who I am today and I’m proud of the person I am today. Now, I’m slightly less obnoxious, slightly less overbearing and a bit more careful.

But the point is this; today, I understand what change is and I know where it can take us. I’ve experienced change myself. Iona is the story of change. It’s the story of a changing infrastructure, a changing academic environment, a changing student body, and a changing culture. We as students are in a very powerful position. We are at the forefront of this evolution. And just like we’ve changed since we got here, so has Iona.

So now is our time to do and it is our time to act. We’ve experienced a lot of newness this year in SGA. I use the word newness because after two and a half years of being in SGA, that’s the word that comes to mind. Each year, we progress further and further down a path towards a leaner, stronger SGA, especially this past year. We’re proud of where we’ve been but we know there’s more to get done.

So, what can you expect from me on day one if elected? First and foremost, a leader committed to hearing your voices. You can expect new ideas. You can expect a stronger emphasis on service and spirit. We are defined by the way we help those in need and SGA should be at the forefront of serving others in our community. Most importantly, you can expect an SGA committed to putting the students first. Student thought must be known and considered when it comes to decisions made by the College and, taking that a step further, that your thoughts be known and considered when SGA charts out its course for the year.

You’ve given me the opportunity to lead before and I’ve taken my work seriously, and I am proud of all that we’ve been able to accomplish. Now I’m hoping you will give me the opportunity to lead once more. I hope that you will stand with me and give me your energy, your voices, your spirit, your support, and your inspiration in making Iona not just the home it has been for so many of us in the past; but the home it is today, and the home it will be for generations of Gaels to come.

I’m CJ Funaro, I’m running for President of the Student Government Association and I hope I have your support.

Thank you.

Executive Vice President

Thomas Severin ’16

A question I’ve gotten a lot from my family and friends is “So just what is a Gael?” I explain to them that it’s someone of Irish-Gaelic ancestry, but that it mostly looks like a Maroon and Gold leprechaun. But what I really want to tell them is that a Gael is part of an amazing community. A Gael is more than just someone who goes to class at Iona, a Gael is an engaged student leader who excels not only in the classroom, but in the workplace and in their community. A Gael is someone who doesn’t settle for anything but the best. A Gael gives back to their community and helps others. And every single day, I’m proud to call myself a Gael.

I’m Tommy Severin and I want to represent Gael Nation as the Executive Vice President of our Student Government Association. After serving as a two term Senator for the Class of 2016, I’m ready to take the next step. In the past two years, I’ve worked to gather student feedback as well as to represent the student body on several committees of the College Council. I’m ready to take the lead in helping to make sure the voice of the students is not only heard by the administration, but that they listen to what we have to say. I’m dedicated to working with the college and with the students to make sure that every day is a great day to be a Gael.

Vice President for Finance

PJ Milianta ’15

My name is PJ Milianta, and as Vice President for Finance, I would be overseeing the finances of the SGA as well as the allocation of funding to the organizations and clubs that are scattered throughout the Iona community.

I have always enjoyed being part of the greater Iona community. I am on the Judicial Board of Delta Upsilon, an Edmund Rice Society member and orientation leader, and an Iona College Chemical Society member, attending meetings and helping to plan events. I may not be a business major, but it does not mean I lack experience in such fields. I was the treasurer and then Vice President of the Italian Club at my high school. I have experience planning budgets and overseeing event expenses, as well as keeping track of receipts and handling school administration audits. I have managed and coordinated several fundraisers in the past, and so I understand the importance of such events and the necessity of financial responsibility.

I know how to manage my time efficiently as a double major and a student worker. I know the importance of deadlines and always meet them. I envision working with clubs and organizations to ensure that events that benefit the Iona community as a whole will be funded. Together, we can do great things for Iona. I’m ready to give it my all; let’s make next year the best that it can be. Go Gaels!

Vice President for Internal Affairs

Patrick Lynch ’17

Patrick Lynch is currently a freshman, and has quickly immersed himself into the variety of activities offered at Iona College. In addition to being the Freshman Senator chair, Patrick is a member of the Iona College Skits O’ Frenicks Improv Group, a staff writer for the Ionian, and also is a member of various other organizations, including the Middle Eastern Club and Gay Straight Alliance. In early march he will be playing the role of “Cinderella’s Prince” in the Iona College Player’s Production of “Into the Woods.” Patrick loves alternative music, and is an avid fan of the band Blink-182. Many consider Pat a wacky and fun loving guy, who enjoys the simple things.

Patrick is ecstatic to run for the position of Vice President for Internal Affairs, and believes he would be a good match for the position. Patrick’s dedication and charismatic attitude will certainly help him in achieving the goals he has set for himself. Many also consider Pat a highly approachable and friendly guy. Patrick believes these traits would help him communicate well with his peers, as well as authority members, and would help him excel in his intended position.

In closing, Patrick would like to wish all the other candidates the best of luck, and would like to thank the reader for viewing this message.

Vice President for Communications

Kayla Kosack ’17

Kayla Kosack has represented the freshman class of 2017 this year and looks to extend her dedication to the Iona community and the Student Government Association as the Vice President for Communications. Not only has she participated in the Iona SGA, but she is a dedicated member of the Mock Trial team, a member of the Criminal Justice Club and the Edmund Rice Society. Serving the surrounding community is one of Kosack’s passions as she has previously participated in several projects with the Office of Mission and Ministry along with Go New Ro.

Although a freshman, Kosack has shown her leadership skills in several executive positions throughout the years. Over time she has obtained skills that allow her to fulfill the requirements of a Vice President for Communications. She has worked in areas to promote activities and events and passing along valid information. Through her experience and several leadership programs, Kosack has been able to determine specific items she would like to enhance in not only the SGA but also Iona. She believes that the communication and information discussed in legislative meetings needs to be passed along in various ways rather than just the websites, (such as bulletin boards, newsletters, etc.). Several times Kosack has encountered situations where students are unaware of the work being done on campus; therefore she has been encouraged to run for this position to pass along information and assistance to the student body.