Haley D’Angelo: from walk-on to two-year captain

John Clark Staff Writer

The story of Iona women’s basketball point guard Haley D’Angelo isn’t a very well known story, but it is definitely worth hearing. D’Angelo, a fifth year senior at Iona College, came to this school after attending West Morris Central High School in New Jersey.

At West Morris Central High School, D’Angelo accomplished many accolades. She earned first team honors in All-Area, All-Conference, All-County, was named the 2009 NJ Star Ledger Morris County Player of the Year and was a 2009 Scholar Athlete. She was a two-year captain at West Morris Central and her team won the 2009 Morris County championship.

After her success at the high school level she wanted to continue her playing career in college and knew Iona was the perfect fit for her.

“I loved the school, the atmosphere, coaching staff at the time and the girls (on the team) were great,” said D’Angelo.

At Iona, D’Angelo was given an opportunity to walk-on as a freshman and she accepted the offer. Being a walk-on, D’Angelo wanted to show she had the skill set to compete on a Division I basketball program.

“I took it as a challenge to really try and prove myself because I knew I could play at this level,” she said.

D’Angelo redshirted her freshman year in 2009 but that did not stop her from working her hardest every day. Her hard work eventually paid off.

“After a year went by, with a lot of blood, sweat and tears, I earned a scholarship and ever since then I’ve really taken a leadership role on this team,” she said.

Teammate junior guard Aleesha Powell has shared the backcourt with D’Angelo since she first arrived at Iona in 2011. Powell praised D’Angelo’s work ethic on and off the hardwood and realizes what an important piece she is to the team.

“It’s been a great experience (playing with D’Angelo), she’s a great leader on the floor and a great leader off the floor,” Powell said. “ She’s what holds us together and I feel like without her it would be different.”

After playing three years with D’Angelo, Powell’s favorite memory was after last season’s Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) semi-final victory against Siena, when D’Angelo celebrated the team’s victory by dancing after the game, something rarely seen because of her constant professional demeanor.

Currently, the Iona College women’s basketball team is 24-3 overall and 17-1 in MAAC play. They are on a five game winning streak and have not lost a home game this season (8-0). They are in first place in the MAAC standings with two more games left on the schedule.

Despite the successful campaign thus far, D’Angelo continues to take a one game at a time approach and realizes there are still goals to be completed.

“Our first goal right now is to win a regular season conference championship and then we want to win a MAAC Championship,” she said.

On Feb. 27 the Gaels travel to Hamden, CT to take on Quinnipiac University.

D’Angelo and the Gaels will return home on March 2 to face Marist for their last home game of the regular season before the MAAC Championship tournament from March 6-10.