WICR launches first daily morning show at Iona

Host Pete Consadori and producer Jonathan Stanko broadcast the first daily morning show from the basement studio in the LaPenta Student Union.

Whether you are preparing for a career in radio, a student of Iona College tuning into Iona’s radio station, WICR, or just want to kick your day off with a great start, “The Morning Show” has been a hit for Iona’s mass communication department.

Senior and WICR president Pete Consadori and junior Kenny Reischmann broadcast the show live from the basement of the LaPenta V. Student Union.

It takes place Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.

Each day features a different producer providing content for a show that goes on air daily, which is not as easy as it sounds.

WICR has stepped up its game by tackling a task that resembles that of a professional radio station.

For years now, students have had radio shows, some have even had more than one, but hosting a show five times a week is a new realm Iona College radio has ventured into.

This is something that can only make students better at what they do, especially Consadori, who hopes to work in the radio business one day.

“It definitely gives you experience and helps you feel more comfortable with the board and being on-air,” said Consadori.

“It’s a learning experience as a whole, but it’s also fun.”

The show, which is supported by Iona’s media director Mike Damergis, models itself after some of the biggest stations around.

Damergis, who has worked in the radio business, has shared his wisdom with Consadori, and Consadori sees this as a great opportunity to work hard.

“We try to keep it as we are Z100 or Q1043. We want to make it sound like you’re listening to those stations on the drive to work,” said Consadori.

Fulfilling the idea of trial by fire, Consadori and Reischmann are thrown into duties similar to what paid radio hosts encounter.

Rain or shine, happy or sad, they have one job when they step in that booth every day: provide an hour-long show that satisfies the Iona community.

“Doing the show every day is very hard, and that is why we get the producers on the air as well because we want them to get the on-air experience as well as producing a show,” said Consadori.

Pat McGuire, senior Jonathan Stanko, and sophomores Rob Boncardo and Joe Archino all fulfill the role of producer on their respective days.

The job of the producer is to map out content for the hosts to talk about on a given day.

The format of the show is a traditional morning show structure containing news, weather, sports and what is happening at Iona.

Even though they take music breaks, the show does feature a lot of talking, meaning producers must always have content ready to go.

“It is very difficult to get up–to-date news. Information is hard to get for every single morning; that is why we have producers and we are very thankful for them,” said Consadori.

“Producing the WICR morning show has been nothing but a good time,” said Stanko, the sports producer. “Working closely with WICR president Pete Consadori is a privilege.”

“He brings an air of professionalism to everything he does in the studio.”

There are two 20-minute segments of talking, and then the last 20 minutes are for commercials, setting up, prep work and some background music.

Despite the precise structuring of the show to keep things organized, chaos could easily arise if Consadori did not control things by operating the board; the heartbeat of the radio station.

This is how music is played, microphones are turned on, commercial breaks are taken, levels are checked and the broadcast is initiated.

“The show is lighthearted and fast-paced and detours from anticipated conversations happen rather often,” Stanko said.

“The Morning Show” is the beginning of something that Iona wants to have for many more years to come.

“Ideally I would like it to go on for semesters, past my time here. I would like Ken to keep it going because he’s not graduating yet,” said Consadori.

“I want future WICR members to be involved. I want this show to be a main thing for WICR, something that is well known and gives you a lot of experience.”