Softball sweeps Quinnipiac, then drops two at Fairfield

Freshman Kristen Turner recorded three hits and two RBI in Iona’s 13-3 win at Quinnipiac.

In its last four games in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) play, the Iona softball team has gone 2-2, by sweeping Quinnipiac on April 13 and getting swept by Fairfield on April 19.

The Gaels (13-20 overall, 7-5 MAAC) used a strong offensive effort to get the best of the Quinnipiac Bobcats, taking the first game of the doubleheader 9-2, and the second 13-3. Freshmen Kelsey Long and Katie Newton each scored four runs in the two games. Junior Allison Hand drove in six runs while senior Katie Jansson picked up four runs batted in (RBI) of her own.

The Maroon & Gold supplemented a good offensive day with a stellar pitching performance by junior Carly Argyle, who pitched a complete game and allowed just two runs on six hits in the first contest.

In the second game of the day, Iona took advantage of an early miscue by the Bobcats to take a 1-0 lead, when freshman Kristen Turner scored on a Quinnipiac error.

The Gaels kept tacking on runs, stretching the lead to 4-0 with three runs in the third inning. Senior Eileen McCann drove in Long with an RBI triple. She eventually scored on a single by Turner. Sophomore Sarah Schutz drove in the final run of the rally with a double to center.

“I think the team is doing great so far, and we’re really coming together,” said Turner, who had three hits and two RBIs in the second game. “Every batter in the lineup is a tough out, and we’re really killing it offensively. Our pitchers are also dominating on the mound, so we’re doing well right now.”

Sophomore Jordan Courage picked up her third win of the season, allowing three runs, five hits and two walks in six innings of work while striking out five.

The Gaels followed this sweep by hitting the road to face the Fairfield Stags for two games on April 19. The Stags won both contests by scores of 2-0 and 1-0.

In the first game, the two teams were scoreless for the first four and a half innings. Fairfield scored the only two runs of the contest on a two-run homer in the bottom of the fifth.

Iona actually outhit Fairfield 7-3. Schutz recorded two of the Gaels’ hits.

Argyle suffered the loss, pitching a complete game and striking out four.

Game two was an absolute pitchers’ duel. The two teams combined for one run and seven hits.

Courage took the loss but allowed only three hits and three walks in six innings of work.

Iona amassed four hits. Sophomore designated hitter Sydney Dimon recorded two hits.

Despite the two losses, the Maroon & Gold see some positives from these tough, low-scoring games.

“With our defense and pitching coming together so well, I think we’ve got all of the tools to make it to the MAAC tournament,” Argyle said.

The Gaels were scheduled to play a doubleheader at Manhattan on April 23. The two teams are tied for fourth place in the MAAC. The results were not available at press time.

Iona has nine games remaining in the regular season, and all of them are at home. The Maroon & Gold will host Siena for a doubleheader on April 26. The following day, they play two games against Marist. Both days the games are slated for noon and 2 p.m. and will be played at Rice Oval.

“We play with heart and never back down from the first to the last inning,” Long said. “These next games require nothing more than some strong willpower and 17 positive attitudes.”