Taylor Swift musical invite goes viral

The cast of ‘It’s a Love Story’ has been working hard to put on an original Taylor Swift musical and invite the pop star to Iona’s campus to see the performance.

Julie Donato Editor-in-Chief

It’s not every day that a project you’ve been working on for years goes viral, but for senior Tyler Conroy, that day is here.

Conroy, a dedicated member of the Iona College Players since his freshman year, is realizing his dream of performing an original musical featuring the work of his favorite artist, Taylor Swift. Thousands of people have taken notice.

To promote the musical ‘It’s a Love Story,’ which opens on Friday, Conroy and the cast created a video to ask Swift to come to the show. Earlier this week, the video began to take online and traditional media outlets by storm.

“We posted it online, and then we just sent it everywhere,” Conroy said. “Perez [Hilton] blogged about it, which was good. Perez blogged positively, which he usually doesn’t.”

The cast’s video was featured on OCEANUP, a popular teen blogging site, New Rochelle Patch, News 12 Westchester and News 12 Long Island. The cast also gained coverage over the radio waves on stations such as 92.3 New York, 102.7 Fresh and 98.7 AMP.

“We were also just contacted by and featured on playbill.com,” Conroy added.

He and the cast are excited about all of the media buzz, and are hopeful that Swift will see their video and maybe even come to the show.

“I mean obviously I want Taylor Swift to come see a musical about Taylor Swift,” he said. “I’m a huge fan; I think everyone on campus knows that, and so I just hope that she sees the video and recognizes that this group of people have put a lot of hard work into something that’s all for her.”

Conroy’s labor of love for his musical idol has been a long time in coming. A friend wrote the musical for him back in 2010 as a Christmas gift, and after years of conceptualizing and editing he has finally been able to make the show a reality with the help and support of other students. He started making heavy edits last March and worked on the choreography for all of last summer.

Although he’s personally been working on the play for years, Conroy says he’s most excited about sharing the experience of performing with the cast he’s been rehearsing with for the past two months.

“This cast is insanely talented,” Conroy said. “Some people have never even been on stage before. I’m excited to give people this opportunity to shine and to really show their talents and to be fearless.”

One of those first-time performers at Iona that Conroy is eager to see shine is freshman Mary Kate Buckley, who plays the lead female role of Bailey in the show. Buckley plays opposite of Conroy, who is filling the male lead of Taylor.

“I have never done a play here at Iona and I just love the atmosphere of it,” Buckley said. “I loved the first semester of college, I just absolutely loved it. And I didn’t know I could love it even more, but they [the cast] have become like my second family.”

‘It’s A Love Story’ is running in Doorley Auditorium on May 9 at 8 p.m. and May 10 at both 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Admission to the show is free, but tickets and seats are limited and will be available on a first come, first serve basis.