Iona renews contracts

Alexandra Vinci Managing Editor

Last week, President Joseph E. Nyre announced that the College has renewed its agreements with the owners of the apartments at Eastchester and Chartwells food service. Nyre surprised the SGA legislature on May 1 with the new developments and explained the parameters of both contracts.

This past school year, students’ living experiences at the Eastchester apartments have been less than satisfactory. The plumbing and electrical systems, as well as the building’s roof, are overdue for repairs and, according to Nyre, up until this point the school had no legal authority to go in and complete the work.

“This is not ideal and we’re not happy,” said Nyre.

Since Iona has been renting the property, there was very little room to improve conditions for the students living there. As the lease went up for renewal this year, the administration moved to renegotiate the terms regarding the building complex.

Nyre explained that they gave the owners an ultimatum, stating that they would turn down the contract unless they agreed to fix the problems at hand. Furthermore, the school demanded that they be given the jurisdiction to complete any necessary repairs to the apartments if the owners do not address the issue within 24 hours.

However, the school’s requests were rejected and Nyre said that just a week earlier he was prepared to announce that Residential Life would be pulling the Eastchester apartments out of the housing lottery, affecting 140 students. Once the owners realized how serious the college was about withdrawing from the lease, they agreed to the new terms.

“Now we have the authority to respond,” said Nyre.

He told the SGA legislature that a five-year lease was signed upon this arrangement, and based on the agreement that the electrical will be updated, the roof will be fixed and a new boiler will be installed before winter.

The contract was also up this year between the school and its dining service company, Chartwells.

According to the campus communiqué that went out to students on May 2, the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees approved “the extension of the relationship with Chartwells for 10 years.”

“Chartwells has made significant commitments to the college to enhance the future dining experience of the students and the greater Iona Community,” stated the same communiqué.

A “Gaels food truck with an ever-changing menu” is in store for the campus next year as well as renovations to both Vitanza Commons and the LaPenta food area. Nyre said that Quizno’s will be gone next year as well, but part of the agreement with Chartwells states that the school will be allowed to identify what restaurant will replace that area.

Currently a full-service Starbucks looks to be a leading option but surveys will be sent out to gather student input.