Alumna returns with career advice

Rachel Baio Staff Writer

The Criminal Justice Club prepares members for the professional field in a variety of ways. The department has a vast alumni network that it utilizes in supporting students with advisement and internships.

The club held a criminal justice career mentor dinner on Oct. 23 for students to speak with people in the field and gain advice.

On Oct. 21 criminal justice alumnae Rebecca Lawrence visited campus to talk about her experience entering the work force and the challenges she faced.

Lawrence originally had aspirations of working in law enforcement.

“I had this idea that I was going to graduate and become a cop right away, but the unfortunately that’s not the case,” Lawrence said. “You have to work to get where you want to end up.”

Lawrence graduated in 2013 and has since found a career that she is passionate about. She came back not only to share her experience, but to also encourage others to look into working or interning for her company.

Intralogic Solutions is a security company located in Massapequa, N.Y. that enables security systems for schools, government agencies and companies like Estee Lauder. The system involves high-tech cameras and alert systems that once set off contact the local police immediately and can even put a school on lockdown.

Their lockdown system is one of the best and is in high demand. If someone in the building feels threatened they can implement a lockdown from a button on a wall, under a desk, or even on a tablet.

“We are always looking for internships,” Lawrence said. “The company likes to have students because they tend to have fresher ideas coming straight out of college.”

Not only would Intralogic Solutions like to have student interns, but they also look to hire interns.

All of the team members of Intralogic Solutions have prior experience in risk management or security, which is very relevant to Criminal Justice students.

While interning at the company, it’s possible to participate in threat assessments, which is when the company does a walk through of their clients organization and assess what kind of security system they would like to have installed.

Interns also learn how to work with law enforcement, figuring out new ways to improve or reduce the amount of time it takes to secure buildings and ultimately save lives.

“I love it,” Lawrence said. “It’s a very laidback and young atmosphere, but although we like to have fun, we take our jobs very seriously.”