Make the most of winter break

Jordan Barile Staff Writer

As the end of the semester approaches, students prepare to leave their schoolbooks behind and get ready for a relaxing winter break.

The last day of classes is Dec. 9 and the last day of finals is Dec. 17. The winter recess is just a little more than a month long.

There are many different ways to spend the month off, from working a part time job, staying active or simply just relaxing with family and friends.

“For the holiday, I stay home in New Jersey with my family,” junior Krissy Bucchi said. “We watch the live concert from the Magic Kingdom in Disney World while we prepare our Christmas feast.”

Students who don’t have the opportunity to visit home often will also have the time to go back and reminisce with their families, and perhaps even friends they haven’t seen in a while.

Many students find that there is a benefit in not visiting home often, as it makes the weeks with family during winter break even more special.

“Go out and talk to your family; they miss you while you’re at school,” said sophomore Kayla Coughlin.

If you’re a fan of the wintry season, then you will most likely not be disappointed as the inclement weather heads its way to the northeast faster than expected.

Students who live in the northeast are encouraged to bundle up and prepare for the cold as winter is just around the corner.

“I like the workout of shoveling snow, and all the white is really pretty,” said Coughlin.

For those who celebrate Christmas, the snow only adds to the spirit of the season.

The past few years, the northeast has not been able to experience the full effect of a white Christmas, but weather reports are promising an abundance of snow this season.

For the people who don’t enjoy snow, there are alternatives to dealing with it while having a great amount of fun during break.

“I don’t like the cold because I hate putting on hundreds of jackets,” said freshman Erin Kutch. “I plan on watching Elf and getting a bunch of winter clothes to go back to school.”

Whether it be staying inside and watching a good movie, socializing with family and friends or going out and taking a plunge in the snow, students are encouraged to make the most out of their winter break and are urged to have a happy and safe holiday.