Study abroad offers new Euro program

The Office of Study Abroad has created a new study abroad program that visits three European countries in one semester.

The program entitled Passport Western Europe is a semester-long program that visits Dublin, Barcelona and Rome in five-week installments from Aug. 28 through Dec. 11.

The Office of Study Abroad has been developing this program for over a year after learning about similar programs at other schools.

Professor Robin Tedesco, associate director for study abroad and professor of the Fine Arts department, lived in Rome for four years and felt that students needed to see as much as Europe as she has.

“We felt that having the students experience so much of Europe in one semester was an interesting option,” Tedesco said.

Other study abroad programs offered at Iona are based in one city where students would have to use their own money to visit other countries or cities, but this unique program allows students to visit three cities, two of which are offered over the summer for two weeks, in one semester.

The first leg of the program starts in Dublin and begins Aug. 28 through Oct. 2. Students will study at the Marino Institute in Dublin and live in its residence halls. Breakfast and lunch will be included four days a week, but students will foot the cost of their dinner. Three courses in economics, English and history will be offered.

Visits include the now closed Kilmainham Gaol prison, the Trinity College Library and Dublin Castle.

Next, students will fly to Barcelona where they will stay until Nov. 6. Students will study at the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya in Barcelona, but will live in private apartments. Students are in charge of providing their own meals. Courses of study include political science, history and fine performing arts.

Places students will visit include Sagrada Familia, Casa Batillo and Camp Nou, a soccer stadium.

Students will finish their trip in Rome where they will stay until Dec. 11. Students will study and live at the American University of Rome. Courses include fine and performing arts, religious studies and Italian.

Places of interest include the Coliseum, Vatican City and the Pantheon.

Only 10 to 15 spots are available, and Tedesco said that’s because Iona helps cover some costs.

“There may be a difference in what you pay at Iona and what you get charged by a school in Dublin,” Tedesco said. “Iona is willing to cover the difference and support the program.”

Any financial aid, Iona scholarships and loans apply to semester-long programs. The cost includes Iona’s full tuition, room and board including program and service fees plus the cost of 18-credits.

Additional costs include airfare, phone service (all students are required to bring their own cell phone), insurance and extra money for food, gifts and travel.

A $250 deposit is due March 5 and spots are secured on a first-come, first-served basis.

Tedesco offers advice for those who are on the fence about studying abroad: “Be curious.”

To learn more about Passport Western Europe, email [email protected] or call 914-633-2282.