College hosts Hands Around Iona in support of Lotus Project

Faculty, staff and students alike joined hands April to celebrate the Lotus Project and the 75th anniversary of Iona College at Hands Around Iona.

The event, which is in its ninth year, meets annually to spotlight one charity or cause that exemplifies the Iona mission.

Savannah Lang, president of the Tara Knights Society, says that she and her fellow e-board chose the Lotus Project as this year’s cause because it “directly reflects the values of Edmund Rice.”

According to the Lotus Project website, it is “focused on providing access to quality education and skills development programs to girls and boys living in low-income communities.”

The Christian Brothers run and operate the Lotus Project at Iona.

In order to work directly with the Lotus Project, students take a special class called a service learning immersion that prepares them to go to Kolkata and Delhi in India.

Jordan Courage, one of the students who went on the trip, saw first hand the poverty these boys live in.

“You don’t understand the vicious cycle of poverty until you get there,” she said.

The Lotus Project helps children get an education. Most children learn basic life skills like English and simple math.

The students helped set up a store for the children to work in. They create bracelets and other trinkets that they put up for sale.

According to Courage, these children don’t care so much about the money.

“It’s not so much about the money,” she said. “It’s empowerment and pride over the work that they do.”

Hundreds of students flocked to Mazzella Field to do their part by participating in Hands Around Iona and donating to the Lotus Project.

Iona College President Dr. Joseph Nyre praised the community and the students involved on their achievements.

“I’m in awe of your commitment,” he said. “It says that when you leave college, you will lead dreams and move the world.”

After Courage and junior Nicole Sarnataro gave a recap of their trip to India, the entire crowd filled the field.

Joining hands, the crowd outlined the entire field, stretching their arms as far as they could.

Once in a perfect circle, the Iona College Players sang “Imagine” by John Lennon. The crowd swayed and tried to start a wave.

Lang loves seeing the community together.

“The positive feeling I get when I look around Mazzella Field at hundreds of Gaels united brings me such joy. I hope people who attend Hands Around Iona experience that same happy emotion and carry it with them in their heart as inspiration to be kinder and more generous in their daily lives,” she said.

Before leaving, the crowd was asked to stay on the field and form a human 75 to mark the anniversary of the college.

Lang says the event is so popular because the community likes to take action.

“I would like to think this is because the good intentions behind the Hands Around Iona campaign to make a difference in the world is contagious and draws people in,” Lang said.

At Hands Around Iona, the Lotus Project collected $337.48 in donations. Lang was hoping to reach $500 in donations, which converts to over 31,000 Indian rupees.