A day in the life at Teen Vogue Fashion University

At Teen Vogue Fashion University I got to experience the day in the life of an editor, public relations, and social media major.

7:30 A.M. Check-In Begins: Free Express goodie bags were distributed to the students.

9-9:50 A.M. Dean Speaker, Michelle Phan: Jason Wageheim, publisher of Teen Vogue, welcomed our class to Fashion U and introduced Editor-in-Chief Amy Astley and Beauty YouTuber Michelle Phan.

He wanted my class to know that students like me can land an internship through Fashion U. I could not believe he mentioned that because he told me at the Kickoff Party he told me he would and he did!

The Q and A with Phan and Astley began. Phan spoke to the class how she made the beauty industry through her social media via YouTube.

She encouraged students to just do what we set our minds to and to not be afraid to take risks.

I liked how we could relate to her story because she was a college student as well when she first started her YouTube channel.

10:10- 11A.M. Juliana Ribeiro and Brian Phillips: Groups were split up and the guest speakers were Juliana Riberio and Brian Phillips. The guest duo were from Black Frame, a public relations out-house firm; they represent a series of fashion designers and other clients.

For instance, three of their popular designer clients are Kenzo, Nike and Rodarte. They gave us case studies from their campaigns and the clients they work with.

They had given us three key factors to be successful in PR and one of them is to constantly build strong relationships with the media in all areas — relationships take time, be patient.

They emphasized how the key factors need special attention because details matter and PR practitioners should always be thinking of the next step.

11:20 AM- 12:10 P.M. Kristen Joy Watts: As I got into class, there were Instagram mugs waiting for the class and they were amazing. Our guest speaker was Instagram’s Community Team, Art, and Fashion lead Kristen Joy Watts.

She taught the importance of story-telling through Instagram posts and how our captions should be simple.

1:40-2:30 P.M. Teen Vogue Editors Panel: The Teen Vogue editors were Dana Mathews, Drew Elovitz, Elaine Welteroth, Erin Kaplan, Ester Adams and moderated by Astley.

The editors panel gave us insight on what is it like to be an editor of Teen Vogue, and how they got there.

Most of them had started as assistants and worked their way up. They advised us to work hard and be patient, because these are things that your bosses will notice.

Astley gave an interesting tip which was to babysit, since it is a great way to network with parents as well.

I thought that was a clever way of networking. I enjoyed how much the panel emphases the importance of hard work in the industry.

2:50- 3:40 P.M. Aliza Licht, PR for Donna Karan New York: The class received free limited edition nail polish and lipstick that was inspired by Licht’s new book, “Leave Your Mark: Land Your Dream Job,” coming out on May 5.

Licht gave us a case study regarding the campaign, #CARA4DKNY and it was a great refresher course on what I’ve learned so far in my Mass Communications and PR classes at Iona. Also, I really enjoyed how Licht gave us an exercise on how to promote a new product by creating a new campaign.

4- 4:50 P.M. Mickey Rapkin: Rapkin is the author of the book “Pitch Perfect” and a freelance journalist for editorial fashion magazines. He told the class about his experience interviewing celebrities and being a journalist.

Rapkin told the class if reach out to people, the world will be opened up for you. He added to get our voices online because of how much technology has evolved.

After the Q and A, class ended and I had spoken with Rapkin. I gave him my business card and had taken a photo with him — which was really exciting to meet the creator of “Pitch Perfect.”

5-6 P.M. Mix and Mingle with Teen Vogue: This was an opportunity to talk with the editors of Teen Vogue and my classmates. This created a perfect networking opportunity. This year’s tickets were priced at $349, and the event ran for three days.

This was my second year attending Fashion U, and it has only gotten better.