Tips for staying stress-free during finals week

Writing out your exam schedule and what you need to study will make finals week a piece of cake.

Luis Ramos Contributing Writer

Finals week is approaching sooner than anyone would like. While this is one of the toughest times of the semester, it doesn’t have to be impossible. If you have a good strategy to get through this next week, it’ll go as smooth as any other week.

1. Write out your schedule:

The final exam schedule is online; utilize this to make a studying schedule for yourself, and to make sure that nothing overlaps.

If you have any upcoming events, or are scheduled to work, make sure to write that down, too.

Make sure to write out your schedule clearly, with dates, times and the appropriate location for the exam. This will make it easier for you to know the quick information about your exams at a glance.

Although the final exam schedule is up on the website, make it a point to ask each of your professors to ensure that the schedule is correct.

2. Complete your work:

The last thing you want to worry about during finals week is extra coursework. You might be browsing a notebook to study and find that you have an outstanding assignment you need to complete.

Check your syllabuses to make sure you finished all of your coursework. This will allow you to focus completely on your exams, and not worry about any extra work.

3. Organize your study materials:

One bad habit that I changed was my disorganized studying. Pulling papers out of different folders and notebooks was no help to me.

If you keep the things you need to study with organized, you’ll be able to access them with ease. Use some of your down time to go through your notes so you can hit the ground running when its study time.

4. Find your study space

Everybody has a specific location where they study best. That might be your dorm room, the library, a computer lab, common room or a bench on campus.

Whatever your study space is, make it your place to focus.

5. Sleep:

Despite how tempting an all-nighter might be, it’s necessary for you to get sleep in between studying. Allow yourself to rest after your final, to give yourself a break from the stress.

Hopefully these tips will be as helpful to you as they have been to me. Planning ahead of finals week is the best way to go into it with more ease and less stress.

At the of the semester, the last thing you want to do is study but it’s necessary in order to finish the semester on a good note.

Another good practice is setting study goals. It will help you chart your progress and also ensure that you cover the important material.