Students encouraged to exercise for empowerment

Ariana Perez Staff Writer

Seniors Scout Turner, Maddison Capobianco, Remi Setteducati and Amanda Danella hosted “Find Your Strength: Empowering Women Through Fitness” in Hynes Athletics Center Nov. 10.

This event provided students with an opportunity to gather in the gym filled with raffles and educational speeches.

Danella created the event because she knew she wanted to work out but felt insecure and lost when she was at the gym. This insecurity was made worse by seeing the girls around her in the gym as they seemed confident and like they knew exactly what they were doing.

The event was designed so the attendees could participate in different types of exercises they could do and get motivated.

The presenters showed a slide show and explained the importance of this topic as well as why it means a lot to them. They realized that this was an issue a lot of girls in college could relate to.

Capobianco said that they want all girls to have a positive body image. The presenters also shared many fun ways to exercise.

One tip was to go to the gym with a workout plan already in mind. This will make you feel more secure when you go and remember, you’re there to better yourself and that is nothing to be self-conscious about.

The people in the gym are focusing on their own workouts, so chances are they aren’t looking at you as much as you think they are.

For workout plan inspiration, try Pinterest.com.

For students who are looking for more interactive classes, try Zumba, Soul Cycle, Pilates or yoga. If none of these classes are offered near you, you can find videos for most of these styles of workouts on YouTube, which will allow them to be done in the comfort of your own room.

Mary Olson-Mendez, a cancer survivor, spoke about the benefits of yoga and guided everyone in deep breathing exercises.

“Workout hard, play hard, work hard and there will be no limits you can’t achieve as a woman,” Olson-Mendez said.

The attendees had a chance to speak with a representative from SoulCycle, which is an up-beat fitness program using bicycles. They were also given a chance to enter a raffle where they could win a free group cycle class for them and their friends.

“SoulCycle keeps everything mentally and physically balanced,” Nicole Jensen, the Scarsdale SoulCycle representative and Iona alumna, said.

Guests also had the opportunity to take part in a mini Zumba class.

“The event was interactive and inspiring,” sophomore Taylor Dougherty said. “It made me realize working out doesn’t always have to be intimidating.”

The event wrapped up with free sandwiches sponsored by Roc Body Café and free smoothies distributed by Red Mango.

Capobianco and Danella said the main goal of the event was to have students leave feeling good about themselves.