Event trains students in bystander intervention

The Fall 2015 Intensive Bystander Intervention Training intended to give students the skills they need to intervene in a potentially harmful situation.

The training was taught by two members of the Counseling Center staff: Psychologist/Interpersonal Violence Prevention Specialist Cassandra Klebanoff and Counselor/Coordinator of Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) Education Services Jacqueline Ripepi.

The three-hour course went over a series of potential situations students may see their friends or loved ones facing. Some potential scenarios included getting alcohol poisoning at a party and a friend potentially drunk driving.

“I often find myself being in situations where I don’t know what to do,” junior Tara Fornuto said. “I thought it would be a good opportunity to learn.”

The training addressed common concerns that come up in high-stress and potentially dangerous situations, such as not knowing how to intervene, not knowing enough about the situation and the thought that action isn’t necessary because someone else will do something.

Some barriers students might find themselves facing that would prevent them from helping include the following: lack of knowledge on the situation and concern for their own well-being.

Students may also find themselves conforming to what they assume to be the general consensus: if they don’t see anyone doing anything, they will be less compelled to help.

Another reason for not acting might be because of pluralistic ignorance, which means that a student would assume nothing is wrong because no one else is behaving as if something is the matter.

Ripepi and Klebanoff gave attendees a five-point formula on how to respond using “I” phrases.

“I care.” Let the person know that you are concerned for them and are coming from a caring place.

“I see.” State things in the potentially dangerous situation that you see going on.

“I feel.” Use “I” statements when you’re letting someone know how you feel, which makes the comment less accusatory.

“I want.” Tell the person what you would like to see happen.

“I will.” Be clear about what you will and will not do. In this step, you are giving the person an ultimatum. Ensure that you are able to stick to what you are claiming.

The presenters encouraged students to consider the positive impact they can have and the power they hold when they respond to someone in need.

“Even just asking someone if they’re okay from a distance is enough to help,” Fornuto said. “You don’t necessarily need to get physically involved.”

If you are interested in developing your intervention and response skills, but did not have a chance to attend Bystander Intervention Training, you can sign up for Certified Peer Educator Training. The training is a 12-hour course (spread out over a four-week period) by Bacchus Network, which is an international associate of college and university peer education program. At the end of the training, students will qualify for the Certified Peer Educator Exam and earn certification.

For more information, contact Ripepi at [email protected].