Speech and hearing club teaches students sign language

Anna Maffucci Assistant Features Editor

The Speech and Hearing Club hosted an event for students to learn about sign language which was taught by Dr. Michelle Veyvoda, an assistant professor and speech-language pathologist, Feb. 18.

The event began with a brief history of American Sign Language before the lesson began.

ASL was created by Dr. Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, a doctor inspired by his young neighbor who was deaf. Gallaudet went to Europe to learn about communicating with the deaf, and when he came back, he established the School for the Deaf.

Veyvoda also discussed the possibility of having an ASL class for the upcoming fall semester. The College is working on creating an ASL club.

Junior Kasey Robertson spoke to the crowd briefly about the process.

“We need at least ten people to show interest in the club,” Robertson said. “I’m currently working on the constitution so everything is on its way.”

Dr. Veyvoda began with basic signs, such as teaching everyone the gestures for the alphabet and numbers. Simple greetings were taught to speak to the surrounding people, asking questions such as “What’s your name?” To reinforce this lesson, students were given a handout to take home with them that went over the basic signs.

“I learned a lot, and I really hope that the class and club get made,” sophomore and Speech and Hearing club member Drita Nikac said. “It’s really beneficial to us and our careers.”

Some students expressed surprise over the fact that sign language remains on the fringes of society.

“It’s something that a lot of people don’t speak about today,” senior and Speech and Hearing Club President Gabriella Cinquemani said. “We brought this event together to bring awareness to show people what sign language is all about.”

Students who are interested in the club can contact Kasey at [email protected].