Iona comes together to remember fallen 9/11 alumni

SGA President Kayla Kosack read off the names of Iona Alumni who lost their lives on 9/11.

Rachel Baio Staff Writer

The Iona community came together to pay tribute to those who lost their lives, whether they were alumni or close family members, during the terror attacks of 9/11 on Sept. 9.

The memorial service was filled with staff and students, some who were personally affected by the tragedy. Several Iona Alumni lost their lives that day, and were honored by having their name read aloud after a moment of silence was held.

The Iona Singers sang “Proud to Be an American,” which filled the room with pride and remembrance to those who gave up everything that day.

Many staff members and students lost a loved one during those ominous 102 minutes. It’s impossible to ever know how they truly feel or how they were affected by this devastation.

President Dr. Joseph E. Nyre gave an inspirational and thought provoking speech about how in fifteen years our country has been able to “overcome the enemy of time” to remember those we lost on a “day that is part of our past and indeed part of our future.”

Nyre reminded the campus community that the college, and the country, has a tradition to respond to acts of violence with acts of service and civic responsibility. This responsibility is to come together to remember and heal.

Nyre went on to quote a verse from “America the Beautiful”, about how we live in a nation that is full of heroes who love their country more than themselves and “mercy more than life.” He also explained that the best way to honor these heroes is to ensure that they are never forgotten.

“New Yorkers became a beacon of strength, resolve, determination, and unity,” Nyre said, referring to the way they responded to the attacks.

One Iona student lost his father in the attacks. The student did not wish to be identified because he did not want to be treated differently by his peers.

His father worked for the NYPD in the Emergency Service Unit and was a rescue specialist. His father was awarded the Medal of Honor for his services.

The student recollected a moment in a toy store after the attacks.

“My mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I said I wanted dad to come back,” the student said.

Being only seven years old at the time of the attacks, he does not remember the actual day of the attacks. He remembers the days that came after and remembers feeling that a key part of his family was missing.

Things were different and different eventually became the new normal.

The student sees both his parents as heroes, with a father who made the ultimate civil sacrifice as a police officer and a mother who is “superwoman.”

“I became the ‘man of the house,’ but my mom was amazing and did everything she could as a single parent,” the student said.

His mother then enrolled him and his younger brother in Project Common Bond, which gave the boys an opportunity to talk to and hang out with other kids who had been affected by terrorism throughout the world. The student made lots of friends with this project.

His community, extended family and friends gave a lot back to his immediate family throughout the years. He noted that tragedy brings people together and they received a lot of support.

Although he does not remember the day, he does remember his father.

“I’m glad I knew him and that I’m able to remember him,” the student said.  “My brother can only remember what we tell him.”

His brother has also come out stronger from the event.

“I’ve never seen someone as ambitious as him,” the student said. “He’s very driven and tough.”

The student stated that the attacks affect you in different ways. Sometimes it would hit him in a lighter way, yet overall the experience made himself and his brother stronger.

Both brothers have grown up to be successful students at Iona.