Iona partners abroad

Iona College recently partnered with an international university, Universidad Panamericana, which will allow students from the university in Guadalajara, Mexico to earn degrees from both the Universidad and Iona in four years, according to an Iona press release. The students will attend Universidad Panamericana for the first three years of education and then the fourth at Iona.

The program allows students to earn degrees in audiovisual communications, journalism or communications, advertising and public relations, along with a Mass Communication degree from Iona, which includes broadcast media, journalism and public relations.

Jeff Turner, director of International Affairs for Iona, said that the double degree program is different from studying abroad.

The fact that New York City is just 20 miles from Iona is major, as New York is the media capital of the world, the press release said.

Students who participate in this program can qualify for the Optional Practical Training, or OPT, which allows students to stay in the country for an additional year with a work visa, according to the press release.

According to Turner, Iona currently offers programs in political science, Hagan (fast track business programs) and is working on a computer science program among others.

Turner also said that Iona is planning on having partnerships with other countries in the future.

“We are constantly exploring other countries, looking to expand specifically in Europe as well as more in Latin America,” said Turner.

The press release said that this is program of its kind for Iona in North America. Iona currently has degree partnerships with universities in Spain, France, Germany, Russia and Italy.