Janet Mock speaks about life as a trans woman of color

Janet Mock participated in a Q&A with Assistant Professor Timothy Lyle.

Janet Mock spoke to students in the Murphy auditorium on April 8 about her life as a transgender rights activist as part of the Diversity Lecture Series.

Mock, born and raised in Hawaii, said that although her childhood had many challenges, it shaped her into the person she is today. She was often made to feel as an outcast for much of her life, especially in high school when she began to transition into womanhood. She said that her teachers and administrators throughout her educational career were some of the biggest bullies.

Mock authored two books, the first, a New York Times Bestseller, entitled “Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More” and the second, which is set to be released in June, “Surpassing Certainty: What My Twenties Taught Me.”

During the lecture, Mock participated in a Q&A with Professor Timothy Lyle of the English department. Lyle teaches trans issues in his classes at Iona. He and Mock had been friends prior to the talk, he said. He mentioned the ways in which he refers to Mock and her work in one of his classes that he is currently teaching.

Throughout the Q&A, the discussion centered on issues affecting the transgender community. Mock answered questions from Lyle and the crowd. She answered the questions drawing upon her personal experiences that resulted from her being a black and transgender woman.

A member of the audience asked how Mock dealt with having to be an example for the transgender community and for transgender women of color.

“You need to surround yourself with good and supportive people, and have outlets that will allow you to have fun,” Mock said. She said that while it will still be hard to be a prominent figure in your community, having these will help you to make it through the challenges.

Mock also discussed how she had the privilege of being one of two transgender women that were asked to speak at January’s Women’s March on Washington.

“Our liberation depends on all of us, all of us returning to our homes and using this experience and all the experiences that have shaped us to act, to organize, to resist,” Mock said, in conclusion to her speech at the march. “

Mock expressed gratitude about her opportunity to speak on behalf of her community at the march.

“This event was an eye-opening experience because you never really realize how many people are actually going through the pressure of what is considered ‘the norm.’” freshman Mariemy Perez said. “Anyone who is a part of the LGBTQ community should never have to defend themselves or always be looking over their shoulder because they feel like they are in danger. I really loved this presentation, and Janet Mock too.”

The Student Life Diversity Committee (SLDC) sponsored the event and was the last Diversity Lecture of the year.