My hearing loss story

I have written about this topic before but it has become important for me to tell my story once again. In 1999, when I was 2 ½ years of age, I was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis with led me to a bilateral hearing loss. This means that I am profoundly deaf in both ears. My life was forever changed because of this.

Luckily, I was able to get a cochlear implant, which is a device that takes in sound and sends electrical signals to the brain which then turns the sounds into words. Since I learned how to talk before this all happened, it was a little easier for me to adjust to the device. I went to the Center of Hearing and Communication in New York City for extensive speech therapy every day for a few years. I remember it like yesterday– acting out stories that were read to me and little did I know how hard I was working.

One of the dreams that I have is to start a foundation for adults and children who are hard of hearing. I hope to one day help others with their challenges and obstacles. It is also important for those who hear normally to take steps to preserve their hearing, such as keeping the volume on at a reasonable level when listening to your music. It can be helpful to your health in the long run.

As we approach October, which is Hearing Awareness month, I would like to take the opportunity to explain a few things. Though my life forever changed when I lost my hearing, I make do and have never let it stop me. It can be challenging at times when I am in noisy environments but I try and make sure that I can get on my good side.

I have come a long way. I had many blessings, including attending my high school prom, receiving a few awards in high school, including one at graduation that my senior class voted for. It was for “a student who does the most for and brings the most honor to the school.” During my sophomore year of high school, I got my first job as an office assistant for the City School District of New Rochelle and became a certified lifeguard. Among one of the best, I was accepted into Iona College and will be interning at FOX News this semester. Getting an internship has been a long-term goal of mine.

The reason I wrote this column is not only for awareness for hearing loss, but for those who are feeling down and need some extra support, especially at the time when we are beginning the semester. Some pieces of advice: never give up on yourself, never speak down or put yourself down and set goals. Always keep at it and be confident and optimistic for yourself. You yourself tend to be your harshest critic. Don’t be. As long as you set your mind to it, you will go far.

I am truly blessed in all the support of my family, friends, professors, colleagues, audiologists and speech pathologists. I could not have done it without them. As I begin my senior year at Iona, I can say that it is bittersweet.

To contact the Ionian’s Matthew Ricker, email him at [email protected]