Rockland Iona Grad Center closes

The Iona College Rockland Graduate Center, located in Pearl River, New York, will be closing in the coming months, according to a “Campus Communique” email sent out by the college in Dec. 18.

The 15-year lease at the Blue Hill Plaza, where the campus is currently located, is coming to an end in July, according to the email.

The main purpose of the closing is because of the increased demand for “online learning and graduate business programs increasing, and plans to renovate and expand the existing business school at the center Iona’s main campus,” the email said.

Students who are currently taking classes at the facility will be able to finish their spring semester classes. For those who need to finish their degree, they will be able to finish courses on the New Rochelle campus or online, according to the email.

President Dr. Joseph E. Nyre reacted to the news.

“I am excited that the College has committed its resources to the renovation and expansion of Hagan Hall at the center of campus, as well as to investments in its graduate programs and curricular advancements,” Nyre said in an email interview.

Nyre reiterated the need to convert to an online curriculum.

“With the demand for online learning for graduate business programs increasing, and our need for upgraded learning and study space on the New Rochelle campus, the decision to allow the lease to expire makes great sense,” Nyre said. “I believe we are strategically and appropriately prioritizing our resources and I look forward to continuing to serve Rockland County graduate students on our main campus and through online learning opportunities.”

The Rockland campus offered various business master’s programs including Information Systems, Health Service Management and other MBA programs, according to the college’s website.

The facility will be open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. through Feb. 26, according to the email.

The Rockland graduate center is a 1.1 million square foot office complex that consists of a 21-story building and a six-story building, which has a health club, retail, ATM, child care center, outdoor seating and more, according to iona.edu.