Iona looks for silver lining in winless record

The Iona College women’s basketball team has not had an ideal season, currently sitting with a 0-18 record. That said, the Gaels have played the most freshmen in the conference, which was not necessarily the plan coming into the season, according to head coach Billi Chambers.

“I don’t think I would have it any other way,” Chambers said. “We’ve got a great group of kids who work extremely hard, and who are in a good way despite what the record shows right now.”

Chambers said she believes the experience that the freshmen players are getting will only benefit the program and players. The guidance from upperclassmen players such Treyanna Clay, Alexis Lewis and Kristin Mahoney through this tough stretch has helped as well.

“The way that they are now, they’re energetic, they’re excited, they are not defeated,” Chambers said. “They come back every day looking to work hard and fix their mistakes.”

As of Jan. 18, the Gaels have seen 36.06 percent of the team’s total minutes be played by true freshmen, which Chambers believes will benefit the team in the future.

“I do think our future is bright with our freshmen playing so many minutes, which is helping, and I think we see the development from game to game.” Chambers said.

This percentage leads the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference by a large margin. Saint Peter’s is second behind Iona with 25.66 percent of their minutes being played by true freshmen.

After Iona and Saint Peter’s, the list of teams in the MAAC rounds out as follows: Manhattan at 23.97 percent; Marist at 21.93 percent; Canisius at 18.07 percent; Rider at 11.91 percent; Niagara at 7.77 percent; Fairfield at 6.14 percent; Quinnipiac at 5.75 percent; Siena at 3.57 percent, and Monmouth at 3.50 percent.

Chambers said many of the freshmen on the team have shown their hard work, and the team relies on them to make plays in big situations.

“You’ve got a lot of good kids, a lot of good pieces who can do some special things,” Chambers said. “It will be fun to watch it all unfold.”

One of the players Chambers referenced is freshman Toyosi Abiola, who has taken a starting guard spot and has played extremely well for the Gaels.

Abiola has played the most freshman minutes in the MAAC and metropolitan area. She averages 35.3 minutes, 12.6 points, three rebounds and 1.3 assists per game. That said, Chambers believes her play hasn’t been surprising.

“Not surprising at all,” Chambers said. “She really loves this game and puts her heart and soul into it.”

Chambers said Abiola is constantly in the gym and catching up on film, or just watching basketball in general. Chambers also believes that a player like Abiola—who has a hard work ethic, makes plays and never shies away from the moment—will benefit the team down the road.

“You see her talent level, and you see what she can produce,” Chambers said. “You see that she has such a high ceiling, that she’s probably going to be one of those great names in this program.”

Abiola has won MAAC Rookie of the Week seven times and four times in a row, a number that is close to breaking the program record that was set by Joy Adams ‘16. However, that is something that she doesn’t really think about.

“I definitely appreciate the awards,” Abiola said. “But, it just comes along with me doing my best to help the team, which is all I could ask for.”

Abiola said she has heard about Adams’ record, but doesn’t think too much about it.

“I don’t want to take my mind away from what we are trying to achieve,” Abiola said. “It would be a great achievement; Joy Adams was an amazing player.”

Chambers, who coached Adams and other Gael great Damika Martinez ‘14, said the same greatness those two had is evident in the effort Abiola puts in.

“She gets in the gym all the time, just like those kids,” Chambers said.  “She’s a real student of the game and I think just having that characteristic about her could potentially set her up to be one of the best players here at Iona.”

Follow @IonianSports on Twitter and Instagram