What students do next: Is graduate school right for you?

For most students, figuring out what to do after graduation can be a daunting task. Just like applying to college, choosing between graduate school, alternate higher education, entering the work force or joining a volunteer organization can be one of the most significant choices you make in your lifetime.

So how do you determine your realistic options and which is best for you?

Try creating a list. Write out your priorities for the next five to ten years. Where do you see yourself? What would you like to be doing? When you’ve completed that, try elaborating on how your going to get there.

For example, if you want to become a college professor, you will need a higher education. Then you have to determine what program is best for you. You may choose to find a night program for your master’s degree, so you can work during the day. Some jobs may even pay for your higher degree.

If you do decide to pursue a higher education, remember to consider all your options. Most students after spending four years earning their bachelor’s degree have accrued some debt. Most loan companies require you to begin payment as early as up to three months after graduation. In some cases, loan payments may be deferred while in pursuit of a master’s degree or its equivalent. Make sure to read the fine print while considering your payments!

Whether or not you can defer your loan payments, it is important to remember that further education will mean two to four more years of expensive education. An alternate option, rather than paying out of pocket or taking out more loans, is to find a job that will pay for your advanced degree.

If you receive a job at an accounting firm, for example, and you wish to pursue your CPA (Certification of Public Accounting) or a master’s degree, oftentimes your employer will pay for you. This is because your advanced knowledge and expertise will only help their company as you improve as an employee.

The business world is not the only industry which engages in this practice. Many businesses will also pay for you to receive your law degree while you are employed, particularly if it will help in your field. If you are a journalist, for example, your employer may pay for your law degree if your focus is in libel law and the first amendment.

Graduate school is not the only option, however. Many students choose to enter the work force right after graduation if possible. For the underclassmen, this is why internships for upperclassmen can be so crucial. The company that you are interning at your senior year may choose to hire you following your graduation if you prove to be a capable employee.

For those that don’t have that option, applying to jobs during your last semester is a big deal. If you don’t know where to start, try setting up a LinkedIn profile. This allows potential employers to find you while also connecting you to others in your industry for networking opportunities. Most of the time, getting a job is all about using your resources to their full advantage.

Also, don’t forget to perfect your resume. If you’re having trouble with your resume or cover letter, the Gerri Ripp Career Development Center can sit down with you to help you put your best foot forward.

For those students preparing themselves for yet another option after graduation, such as joining the military or volunteering for the Peace Corps, make sure to have a plan. Start talking to your recruiter now about how best to prepare for boot camp or what goes into the Peace Corps application.

Don’t be afraid to look ahead to the future. It’s great to live in the present, but it doesn’t hurt to be prepared!