From characters to college students: Who do Iona students connect with most?

Sophomore Samantha Marquez says she relates to Max from “Stranger Things,” played by Sadie Sink.

With the start of the spring semester, students are getting back into the rhythm of their everyday activities and responsibilities on campus. For many college students, this transition comes with constant work and exertion, which can become overwhelming. Thus, sometimes students just need an escape from the pressures of everyday life.

Many students are able to find this escape through the use of television, books and film. These forms of entertainment allow students to submerge into narratives that often display the various complexities of life, many of which they can relate to. Others provide students with a unique experience of escapism to distract them from their everyday life.

In relating their experiences to the stories of characters they are observing on screen and in print, students are able to find a sense of stability and hope within the chaos of their lives. In other cases they extract a greater meaning from these stories and apply the value of these lessons to their own lives.

Oftentimes this allows people to see themselves in the characters they uncover in television, books and film.

“Honestly, I can seriously relate to Holden from ‘Catcher in the Rye,’” freshman Jarren Walker said. “For some reason I tend to focus on the negatives of the social life scene and the stress of school.”

The ability to form a connection with characters gives individuals a feeling of personal understanding and reminds them that they are not alone.

“Sometimes I don’t necessarily change my opinion on a certain topic, but there can be times where I read someone else’s opinion and become fascinated by an idea or perspective that they have on life and it makes me wonder if the way I think is wrong or should be questioned,” Walker said.

Relating to a character’s experiences and witnessing how they go through them can provide a unique frame of reference, which can ultimately cause an individual to acknowledge the struggles they face disparately and find new ways of approaching them.

While many students relate to characters in the books they read, senior Danika Jensen is able to find enjoyment, reassurance and inspiration in Disney movies.

“I’m a huge fan of Disney movies,” Jensen said. “Especially the recent ones that focus on empowering young girls, such as ‘Moana’ or ‘Brave.’ The older movies remind me of when I was little, while the new ones remind me of what I hope to accomplish.”

The messages conveyed in many Disney movies can also motivate their viewers and provide insight into important issues and topics.

“For me it’s not so much about comparing experiences, but hopefully impacting someone the way these characters have impacted me,” Jensen said.

In finding influence in characters individuals can be inspired to pursue certain goals and undertakings while also being driven to lead by example.

Jensen also believes that instead of comparing ourselves to characters we feel connected to, it is important to take what we have learned from them and apply those lessons to our lives. The characters in books and film are just as relatable as those on television.

“I think the character I relate to the most is Max from ‘Stranger Things’ mostly because she’s got a crazy family, she’s loyal to her friends and she was down to do anything with them,” sophomore Samantha Marquez said.

The next time you are watching your favorite series on Netflix, an award-winning movie or reading a New York Times bestseller, try to notice if you are detaching from reality or relating yourself to a character. This is what makes television, films and books so special – they intrigue us and allow us to dive into worlds that momentarily make us forget about our own, while speaking to us in ways that hit close to home.