Backstreet Boys set to teach classes in the fall

Julia Oregano Spice of Life Editor

Disclaimer: This article is an April Fool’s article featured in our 2018 April Fool’s issue. 

Members of the famous boy band, the Backstreet Boys, will be joining the Iona College staff in the fall of 2018. The announcement was made at a recent press conference held by the band on campus.

All five members will be teaching classes and holding informational sessions throughout the semester.

“We’re really excited to join the Iona community, and look forward to helping shape the bright minds of the future,” Nick Carter, one of the members of the group, said during the press conference.

None of the members of the band have experience with teaching higher education, causing many in the community to doubt the legitimacy of their qualifications. The band members are optimistic about their teaching ability.

“I feel like you learn a lot while you are on the road touring,” member Brian Littrell said. “Most of our classes are going to be centered on life experience, which is supposed to be what college is preparing you for anyways.”

Despite the criticism, students have shown excitement over the prospect of learning under the tutelage of a boy band member and B/C-list celebrities.

“I cried when the news was announced,” senior Camila Cabello said. “Honestly, it’s a dream come true!”

When asked if she could name all five members of the band, Cabello was unable to answer.

“Um- I could list the members of One Direction instead!” Cabello said. “Niall, Harry, Louis, Liam and Z- Oops, no, not Zayn.”

The school is suspected to believe the additions to the teaching staff will increase enrollment this fall.

Classes will include “Stage Presence,” “The Business of Being a Popstar,” “Publicity, Social Media Sensation” and “Technology Translation for the Older Generation.” More classes will be announced later this summer.

Other artists have recently shown an interest in teaching on college campuses as the world embraces the arts for once. Older generations have come forward to advocate for the arts, leaving business schools reeling.

“Wait, who are they again?” one freshman asked. Our journalist was offended by the response.

Students eagerly anticipate the band’s arrival to campus. While the time and date in which the classes will open on PeopleSoft is currently unavailable, their classes are projected to fill up within a few hours after they are posted.