Dance Ensemble shines in ‘Tapestries of Movement’

Stacy Franciamore Staff Writer

The Iona College Dance Ensemble showcased their artistry in the spring concert “Tapestries of Movement.” The ensemble performed in the Murphy Auditorium on April 20 at noon and at 7p.m.

The noon concert was performed in honor of the Iona College Learning in Retirement’s 25th anniversary season. The production was directed by Dr. Hannah Park, assistant professor for the Fine and Performing Arts department and director of the ensemble, and was choreographed by Iona faculty as well as members of the Iona College Dance Ensemble.

The ICDE put on a total of 10 performances. Each performance enticed the audience by eliciting a precise ambiance and message. The theme “Tapestries of Movement” focused on an interconnectedness and an understanding of one’s feelings and capabilities, both physically and mentally. The dancers demonstrated this idea through the expressive movements and emotions portrayed during their performances.

The concert opened with a performance entitled “Mechanical Energy.” All the performers collaborated on the choreography. The dance introduced the audience to a night full of energetic and dynamic performances.

Next, Park took the stage in a performance entitled “The Inner Flow.” In a fascinating dance that concentrated on slow, fixated movements, Park’s passion and emotion could be seen through her strong gestures and vivid facial expressions.

The third performance was choreographed by Professor Erin Cairns Cella, adjunct professor for the department, and the ICDE dancers. The performers embarked on the stage wearing all black and held multi-colored pom-poms in their hands. The performers danced in sync and used their props to emphasize their movements.

The next performance was a solo performed by sophomore Meghan Wright. The dance was entitled “Glide, Drop, and Fall.” Wright dominated the stage with sinuous movements. The music that accompanied Wright’s performance was Elliot Moses’ “Slip.” The song was used as a metaphor of the slipping and balancing of life, according to the event’s program.

Another solo performance was given by senior Dan Liang in a dance entitled “Duality Re-imagined.” Dressed in all white, Liang gave a very intriguing performance that was inspired by philosophical ideas and Chinese traditional dance.

The following performance was entitled “Pulled.” This duet was choreographed by all the performers. The two dancers, sophomores Jenna Caccavale and Paige Clements, were able to reflect the relationship between dancers on stage as they interacted with one another throughout their performance.

Sophomore Matthew George surprised the audience with a hip-hop performance entitled “Chillin’ of Loving?” As the only hip hop performance, the audience were intrigued by George’s unique movements. He interacted with the audience by pointing and waving at them and brought a different kind of energy to the stage – one that made the audience want to get up and dance with him.

The ICDE did an excellent job of not only entertaining the audience but encouraging them to look at the greater meaning behind dance and its use as a form of art and expression. Their next concert will be in the fall semester.