Remembering, moving on from Iona experiences

Rebecca Riccardi Chief Copy Editor

As I sit down to write my final opinion piece, I glance at my phone to see that today marks 21 days until graduation – exactly 3 weeks. I cannot help but wonder where the time has gone, as I’m sure most of my peers can relate.

I will not lie—I have been happily anticipating graduation. Since August, I have had many mixed emotions about ending this chapter of my life and beginning a new one. I went through many ups and downs, from a break up and a death in my family to completing my honors thesis and committing to graduate school. In less than 6 months, I will be moving to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to pursue an M.A. in Communication Studies. My life has changed so much in less than a year, and for that I am very sad, yet thankful.

On April 24, I was blessed to celebrate 22 years of life with my family and friends. As I reflect on moving past “twenty-fun,” it seems like just yesterday I was celebrating my 19th birthday during my first Spring Weekend at Iona.

I have grown and learned so many things in my four years at this amazing school. As I briefly mentioned earlier, I was not always nostalgic about graduating. There have been times when there was nothing that I wanted more than to get out of New Rochelle and the Iona “bubble.” However, my last few weeks as an active Gael have brought me to appreciate all of the experiences and opportunities that I’ve had during my time here. I’ve participated on a mission trip, been a Kairos retreatant and leader, served on an e-board, and been an active member and student representative of the IC Honors Program, along with many other things. And, most importantly, I have formed lifelong bonds with friends and professors.

As I embark on this next chapter, I want to take this opportunity to thank the Iona community for helping to shape me into the person that I am today. When I was a senior in high school, my plan was to commute from my home on Long Island to Adelphi and to remain in my comfort zone. While Westchester may not be that far, it was not my initial decision for my undergraduate career. Had I not roughed it out in Loftus during my freshman year, I would have missed out on so much.

While it saddens me to be leaving this community, it’s not a “goodbye,” it’s a “see you later.” I may be handing in my [email protected] title, but Iona College will forever be in my heart. Thank you to The Ionian for giving me this opportunity. I will proudly wear my Iona gear around the Louisiana State University campus and to all of those who have made these 4 years some of the best years of my life, I am forever grateful to you.

To contact The Ionian’s Rebecca Riccardi, email her at rriccardi1@ gaels.iona.edu.