Off-campus meal plan eateries to visit this semester

For those living on campus, the Iona meal plan is essential. While eating on campus can be good, sometimes you need to venture off campus just to find something different.

However, there are some restrictions on the Iona student’s meal plan. Freshmen get a total of $500 to spend off campus, while upperclassmen get a total of $800. Sometimes, those who have a religious or medical reason can change the monetary distribution of his or her meal plan. If you fall in this category and are finding it difficult to find options on campus, contact Dining Services.

That said, for those looking for options off campus that your meal plan will cover, here are a few favorites!

1. Westchester Taco Grill

Affectionately dubbed “Waco” by Iona students, Westchester Taco Grill offers a range of options from burgers, sandwiches and salads to burrito bowls and DIY tacos. It has become a popular location for lunch and dinner after replacing Stirlicious in 2017. In a rush? You can order online and pick up your meal later!

2. Tailgate Dogs & Sausages

Tailgate Dogs & Sausages is a new addition to North Avenue. Located by the Eastchester Apartments, the restaurant offers exactly what it suggests in its name: tailgate food! If you are craving a stadium hotdog or your barbeque favorites, this is the place to go. Check out their menu on tgdogs.com.

3. Avenue Deli Café

The Avenue Deli Café, better known as “The Ave,” is legendary at Iona. Though the lines can be a little long—because it’s so good—it is the perfect place to get a great sandwich. Try their gnocchi, pasta salad, popcorn chicken or mac and cheese if you’re looking to mix it up.

4. A No. 1 Pizza

Located across from CVS, this place gives a little diversity to the pizza options off campus. If Gemelli’s is out of your favorite topping, or you don’t want to order Dominos and spend off your meal plan, A No. 1 is the place to be. Check out their menu at ano1pizza.com.

5. Gemelli Pizzeria

Gemelli’s is the true gem of the Iona meal plan. With a great selection of pastas, pizza and desserts, it is the quintessential Italian restaurant. Now with an expansion on the building, there is plenty of room to sit and eat!

6. Posto 22

Feeling a little fancy? Planning a date, but you’re on a budget? Head down to Posto 22, located on Division street in New Rochelle. This is the perfect place to dress up and head over to if you want to impress anybody visiting you at school.

7. Smokehouse

Smokehouse is another Iona classic. With a great selection—especially their pulled pork and cornbread—this restaurant has remained an Iona favorite for the past few years. Craving dessert? Before it closes for the day, head over there and enjoy it with friends in the restaurant’s outdoor seating while the warm weather lasts.

8. The Beechmont Tavern

This list wouldn’t be complete without including the Beechmont Tavern, also known as “Beech.” This spot not only has great food, but it’s also famous! Don McLean, a New Rochelle native and Iona grad, sings about the tavern, referring to it as “the levee” in his famous song “American Pie.”

9. Carvel

Have an ice cream craving? Never fear, Carvel is here! Appease your sweet tooth by spending some of your off-campus money at the ice cream chain, located inside of the Subway on North Avenue.