New semester resolutions: Be your best self this semester by following these tips

Victoria Sanseverino Staff Writer

The beginning of the fall signifies the start of a new academic year, and a new year means new resolutions. Whether this is your first year at Iona or your last, everyone knows that it is way too easy to fall into bad habits. As hard as we try, our bright and shiny first day of class smiles soon turn into stressed-out scowls. If you are looking to maintain that syllabus week glow, here are some tips on staying organized and healthy this semester.

Health is Wealth:

Maintaining your physical and mental well-being is key to having a positive college experience. If you are not taking care of yourself, how can you possibly have the mental and physical energy to write that paper or go to that club meeting? Check out these self-care ideas:

1. Sweat it Out:

People usually equate working out solely with weight loss and six-pack abs, completely forgetting about the incredible mental health benefits. Here is a health class recap courtesy of WebMD: when you exercise, your body releases endorphins, which are chemicals that react with the receptors in your brain to give you what is commonly referred to as a “running high.”

Do not be afraid to try new workouts or go off campus to find a new gym. Hot yoga studios, CrossFit gyms and SoulCycle locations are abundant in Westchester—there’s even a mixed martial arts gym right near the McDonald’s on North Avenue!

2. Fuel Your Life:

Diet has a huge effect on your physical and mental health, so when it comes to nutrition, do what you need to do to take care of yourself. For some people this means eating a kale salad from Westchester Taco Grill and for others it means grabbing a personal pie from Gemelli’s. Don’t be afraid to block off an hour to eat during a busy week either. Try to find your balance!

3. Happy Hour:

Every day, plan on doing one thing that makes you happy. Going for a walk, throwing yourself a silent disco party in your room, blocking out time to play a video game, getting dressed up or painting your nails are just some examples. It breaks up the monotony of the week by giving you something to look forward to and provides some much-needed self-care. Another trick is to pencil it into your schedule like you would for an assignment, so you’re sure to stick to it.

4. Find Your Zen:

Many people find meditation to be a very effective tool when it comes to managing stress. It teaches you a variety of things, including how to look at situations from different perspectives and how to let go of expectations. You do not have to seek out a professional yogi to start practicing, as there are a variety of amazing free phone apps to start you on your journey to finding inner peace. Some favorites include Headspace, Calm and 10% Happier.

5. The Counseling Center

Sometimes there are feelings and situations that a jog or a Starbucks cake pop can’t remedy. Located on the second floor of Spellman Hall, the Iona College Counseling Center has a team of trained clinicians ready to assist you with whatever your needs may be. The Center is free to all students and, most importantly, confidential. Students can make an appointment either in person or by calling the Counseling Center at: (914) 633-2038.

Get on that Grind:

Now that you’ve taken a deep breath, it’s time to set your sights on classwork. After a long summer break, it can be hard for some to get back into work mode. Here are some suggestions to help you get that A:

1. There’s a Method to the Madness:

Before the semester gets into full swing, take the time to evaluate what study methods work best for you. Maybe you like to type your notes in class and write them down in a notebook later that night, or perhaps you like to create sets of flashcards with relevant study topics. Keep information fresh in your mind by getting to class 10 minutes early and reading over the notes from the previous class. Buy highlighters and color code by importance. The possibilities are endless! Sometimes, the key is studying smarter, not harder.

2. Location, Location, Location:

Not just when, but where you do your work has a substantial influence on your productively levels. A specific room in Ryan Library could be your go-to spot, or maybe you opt for one of the tables in Starbucks. Scope out the campus for a spot that suits your personal preferences—light, dark, quiet, loud and so forth.

3. Don’t be Afraid to Ask for Help:

If you are having trouble grasping a particular subject or topic, make sure to visit your professor during his or her office hours. Sometimes a one-on-one explanation of a topic is more helpful, as you might feel more comfortable asking questions when you are the only student in the room.

The Rudin Center is another great academic resource. Located on the basement floor of Amend Hall, the Center has a variety of services for those seeking assistance with their classwork, including both peer and professional tutoring sessions. The Rudin Center’s hours can be found on their website and you can schedule a session online or in person.

4. Get Organized:

If you haven’t heard it already, managing your time effectively is so important and a proven strategy for academic success. Make sure to buy a planner or download an agenda app to keep track of all of your assignments, tests, club meetings and other activities. If you block out time for specific assignments in advance, chances are you will not have to be up until 3 a.m. the night before finishing it.

These tips aren’t the only way to adjust to the new semester, but if you’re unsure or struggling, they are a good place to start!