How to stay motivated in ending semester strong

Kasey Campbell Staff Writer

The period before Thanksgiving break is often the most stressful point of the semester for students. With the whirlwind of midterms and looming finals, it can be difficult for many to find the motivation to finish the semester on a good note. Students tend to burn out, lacking the initial drive that they once had at the beginning of the year. Any “new semester resolutions” have been neglected and those who made them are just trying to pass at this point. Fear not! Follow these hacks to help you get through the rest of the semester, and remember – winter break is right around the corner!

1. Refocus.

Getting your motivation back may be tricky, but taking time to plan everything out and “get your life together” can help. Try breaking your workload down week by week. For example, writing out all your classes, assignments, upcoming due dates and tests, clubs and sports in a planner or on a calendar can help one get through each week in an organized manner. Plan out which days you will complete which assignments to avoid rushing to get something done last minute. Whether it is a quiz on Tuesday, soccer practice on Wednesday or a club meeting Friday, writing it all down will keep you in check!

2. Find the best study spot.

Finding a quiet, calm and non-distracting place to study is often the key to getting your work done. Studying in your room or a common lounge may seem impossible, even distracting, so find a quiet nook where you can focus. Whether it is a cozy spot in Starbucks or a place in the library, a calm and comfortable study space is ideal for a college student. Once you find your best fit, crack open those books and start studying!

3. Stay motivated!

College students are often guilty of procrastinating, putting off deadlines or even “winging it” when it comes to a test. This is a crucial time in the semester so give it your all! Whether it is finishing those assignments you have not done, acing the final or even striving for extra credit, go for it! You can stay motivated by giving yourself breaks, getting some tasty study snacks or loading up on your favorite caffeinated beverage. The little things will come in handy when you are feeling like you want to give up.

4. Take time for yourself.

During finals, it can be hard to feel like a fully-functioning human and not a bookworm. It is very important that students get enough sleep, eat well-balanced meals and don’t overwork their minds or bodies. Getting a full night of sleep can be beneficial for performing at your best the next day. The correct amount of sleep can help you focus more, retain memories and increase your ability to multitask. Taking some alone time can help to allow students to focus on themselves. Whether it means staying in for a night or skipping out on a social event, go the extra mile for yourself. It’s okay to have a little ‘me time!’

5. Give yourself a good reason to perform at your best!

Whether it is the anticipation of the upcoming break, rewarding yourself after a test or looking forward to the future, setting a goal is the key! Aim to get on the Dean’s List, strive to become an honor student and be the best version of yourself. College is way too short to slack off the whole time, so make the best of it!

With these tips and tricks, you can ensure yourself a happy and healthy end of the semester!