What can students do to help improve the environment?

The world has received startling news in the last month – the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has released a study that suggests that the world is at a crucial point in saving the planet. With global warming progressing, the IPCC has announced that radical changes must be implemented if we want to prevent permanent damage to the environment.

“Every extra bit of warming matters, especially since warming of 1.5 degrees Celsius or higher increases the risk associated with long-lasting or irreversible changes, such as the loss of some ecosystems,” Hans-Otto Pörtner, co-chair of an IPCC working group, said, according to UN.org.

With the current rate of global warming, scientists have been able to track the impacts that a lack of environmentally-focused policy has caused.

“One of the key messages that comes out very strongly from this report is that we are already seeing the consequences of 1°C of global warming through more extreme weather, rising sea levels and diminishingArcticseaice,amongotherchanges,” co-chair of another IPCC working group Panmao Zhai said, according to UN.org.

With these morbid results presented to the public, it has become clear that people must do their part to help prevent a worsening environmental crisis.

So how can college students help? Here are seven ways that we can help out the planet.

1. Join IC Green

“IC Green is a club which strives to educate and increase awareness about environmental issues in Iona’s community and around the world,” IC Green President and junior Maire Dwyer said. “We hope to demonstrate the power of change that begins small and grows upward.”

IC Green is a great way for students to get involved in advocating for environmentally-friendly policies and actions on campus and in the community. The club is also a great place to learn more about how we as individuals can help the environment. Contact Dwyer at [email protected] for more information.

2. Recycle

Probably the most obvious answer, recycling can have a huge impact on the environment. Instead of products being sent to a landfill, paper and plastic can be repurposed. This not only cuts back on emission from the production or plastic and the cutting down of trees for the production of paper, but it also reduces world waste. Also consider buying products made from recycled materials such as pencils, paper and bags. Check out companies such as Flora and Fauna for more recycled products.

Even if you just want to focus on recycling, one person can make a difference. Think twice before throwing that water bottle in the trash.

The Office of Residential Life is currently holding a plastic bag drive. Students can donate plastic bags by bringing them to a Residential Assistant on campus.

3. No Bottled Water

Better yet, do away with disposable bottles all together. Consider getting a reusable bottle instead of continuously buying plastic or glass. You’ll reduce your waste significantly just by choosing to refill every day!

4. Electronic Notes

Speaking of doing away with things, consider keeping those notebooks at the store. Electronic notes save paper and reduce waste. Often students will use only half of a notebook for a class and simply throw it out when the class ends. To prevent the waste of paper, try using a tablet or a laptop to jot down all your notes. Some professors may prefer the use of paper, but it never hurts to remind them of the environmental benefits of using an electronic source!

5. Used books

Notebooks aren’t the only classroom staples you may want to reconsider. Instead of buying your textbooks new every year, try renting or purchasing a used book. Not only is it better for your wallet, it also saves trees! The less demand there is for a book, the less there is printed. This cuts down on the number of trees that will be chopped to make those oh-so- expensive pages! Plus, who wants to buy a new book that you may not even read anyway?

6. Save water

An hour-long shower may be a good way to relax, but the world only has a limited supply of clean water. Consider limiting your time to under 30 minutes. Try turning off the faucet when shaving, washing your face, brushing your teeth or washing the dishes. Even that little bit can mean more fresh drinking water for developing nations that may not have as much access to clean water as the United States.