Throwback Corner: Finding Nemo 

Photo courtesy of tvinsider.com
Nemo and friends still swim in the spotlight two decades later.

As a kid, there were a select few movies that I was always rummaging through my VHS and CD collections to experience the magic of watching time and time again. When you’re young, and sometimes even as an adult, there are some things that never seem to get old, and one of these things for me was Andrew Stanton’s 2003 “Finding Nemo.” This movie was released the same year I was born, so it’s just as though I’ve grown up alongside this nostalgic tale. Old-school Disney in itself emits a magic that can never be replicated, and “Finding Nemo to this day gives me those same feelings of wonder and emotion even though it’s merely an animated film.   

The entire movie is simply about a father, Marlen, looking for his son, Nemo, after he is taken away. Though the storyline is simply enough for a kid to follow, its impact was enough for an adult to remember. Seeing Marlen change from a broken paranoid figure to a loving and improved father is enough to make anyone emotional. Rooting for Dory as she overcomes her short-term memory loss to find family and purpose again is such a beautiful thing to see unfold. Finally,  watching Nemo mature from a kid that was held on too short of a leash to someone who is grateful,brave and loves his father is timeless. On top of all the iconic lines and characters this film brought the world, like Crush, the 150-year-old surfer sea turtle, Bruce, the struggling vegetarian shark, and Nigel, the Australian pelican, Finding Nemo delivered a timeless, deep and most importantly fun story to life that can be shared to generations to come.   

Any “Finding Nemo” fan knows that the film creates a sense of wonder as it’s set in an underwater world we can’t fully relate to or understand, which is part of what makes it so beautiful. This movie presents a story that any person can relate to. While you’re spending the duration of the film rooting for the reunion of the father and son clown fishes and the happiness of every character you spend a hour and a half growing to love, you can relate to the parental struggles and anxieties Marlen faces Viewers can also relate to the desire for family and purpose Dory finds herself dealing with when she meets Marlen on his journey to find his lost son. You can be a kid watching and can understand how scary it is to be away from the people you love. These are realities that aren’t tied to a single fantasy or time period, they are always a part of the human experience which is what makes this movie so legendary.   

Whether you’re looking for a laugh, a cry, to be entertained or to be taught a lesson, “Finding Nemo” is the perfect nostalgic childhood rewatch to fulfil the desire. If it’s been a long time or you’ve never even seen this film before, I strongly recommend getting to know these underwater friends, falling in love with this 20-year-old timeless tale and to always remember, in the great words of Dory, “just keep swimming.”   

View Comments (1)