Introducing G.I.V.E’s Student Advisory Team

Since the G.I.V.E Grant program has been approved for an additional four months, G.I.V.E would like to introduce the Student Advisory – Peer Educator Team, who have been instrumental in helping, providing information, moderating education and awareness programs and events for fellow students and Iona University as a whole.  

The G.I.V.E Student Advisory Team, SAT, Peer Educators are part of G.I.V.E – Gaels Interpersonal Violence Education Program, a department of the Division of Enrollment Management & Student Affairs at Iona. They are responsible for interpersonal violence awareness, prevention, education and response. SAT students raise awareness and educate fellow students through programs that address issues related to relationship abuse and issues, domestic or dating violence, sexual assault and stalking. 

These students have been the backbone to the success of G.I.V.E. Their ideas and willingness to be a part of such an important realm of issues speaks volumes about their characters and who they are as students. 

Name: Katelyn Garcia  

Hometown: The Bronx, N.Y. 

Major: Biochemistry  

Why did I join G.I.V.E?: I joined G.I.V.E to help spread awareness of unhealthy relationships, violence, stalking and harassment that may happen on and off campus.  

What is one thing you hope your fellow students gain from the G.I.V.E Grant program?  

I hope students gain information about our events, utilize the knowledge and feel comfortable spreading awareness with their friends and family.  

Name: Layne McDonald 

Hometown: Clifton Park, N.Y. 

Major/Minor: Biology Major, Concentration in Ecology and Environment; Environmental Studies Minor 

Why did I join G.I.V.E? 

I joined G.I.V.E. because everyone deserves to feel safe on campus. When I first heard about the opportunity to provide students with the resources to help them do so, I jumped right in. This program is so important because it focuses on educating students outside of the classroom on important topics that are catered to our campus-specific needs. G.I.V.E. is something every college campus needs, and I am very thankful to be a part of it. 

What is one thing you hope your fellow students gain from the G.I.V.E. Grant program? 

I hope that my fellow students feel safer on campus and know that there are people actively working on making your experience here on campus the best that it can be. 

Name: Connor Murray 

Hometown: Andover, Mass. 

Major/minor: Double major in Criminal Justice and Political Science; Minor in Theatre 

Why did I join G.I.V.E?

I joined GIVE because after years of hearing about the pervasive and disproportionate danger of victimization that college students are faced with, I finally realized that I would be able to give my knowledge of these important social issues some practical usage. 

One thing to take away from GIVE?  

If you have been abused, there are lots of people who genuinely want to help you and have the means to do so. It is never too late to ask for that help. 

Name: Jack Soldano 

Hometown: Miller Place, Long Island, N.Y. 

Major/Minor: English Education (Elementary) 

Why did I join G.I.V.E?  

I joined G.I.V.E. to make a difference and help raise awareness for issues that are important to me. 

I hope that I can provide resources and tools to foster a safe and comfortable campus environment for all students. 

Name: Olivia Torres 

Hometown: Long Island, N.Y. 

Major: Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Major 

Why did I join G.I.V.E?   

On a mission trip to Brownsville, Texas, I had the opportunity to meet the director of the G.I.V.E. Grant program, Leonora, and she graciously encouraged me to get involved and join the team. Hearing her describe her role as the program director and the goals she had for the student body and campus community becoming more involved, I knew I wanted to contribute significantly to G.I.V.E.’s efforts to raise awareness and educate the Iona community about important topics. 

The importance and recognition of our power as individuals with the right to advocate for education across all the topics highlighted by the program, such as domestic or dating violence, sexual assault, stalking and all forms of gender-based violence, is something I hope my fellow peers learn from the G.I.V.E. Grant program. 

Name: Maggie Ulrich 

Hometown: East Islip, N.Y. 

Major: Social Studies Adolescent Education Major with a Minor in Music Performance 

Why did I join G.I.V.E?    

I joined G.I.V.E. because as a future educator, I want to have the skills to help my students feel safe coming to me for resources about the topics we spread awareness to in the grant. 

I hope students gain the knowledge and resources we have to offer. 

Name: Ethan Moskowitz 

Hometown: Stamford, Conn. 

Major: Media and Strategic Communication 

Why did I join G.I.V.E?     

I joined G.I.V.E. after being influenced by past projects I have done to help out struggling communities and other community service opportunities whether it’s been through Midnight Runs, helping out with Food Bank or going on immersion trips. Through these projects, I have met some amazing people in some of my best friends and people who are in the same boat trying to make campus and the communities around us as safe as possible. 

I hope people can notice the difference that we are making while learning or visiting us at info tables and events each month, learn about the different facts about topics each month and take charge with us to help change or improve it. Over the next few years, I want people to join us to stand up and make a difference, make campus as safe as possible and help this project continue to succeed. 

If you are interested in getting more involved, please contact Leonora Campbell, Project Director of G.I.V.E at [email protected] or visit her office at #213 LaPenta Student Union across from Campus Safety.  

G.I.V.E looks forward to having more students involved and helping make the Iona campus a safe and student-caring environment.