New faces to hit hardwood for basketball

Photo courtesy of ionagaels.com
Freshman Rodrigo Farias is one of 12 newcomers on Tobin Anderson’s roster.

The Iona University men’s and women’s basketball team completed their rosters with several new additions for its 2023 MAAC championship campaign.  

With every new basketball season, change is inevitable. This is evident with this season’s Iona teams, as just seven of the 16 players from the reigning women’s MAAC championship roster last season are returning in 2023.

As for the men, only one player on their current 14-man roster played for Iona in the 2022-23 season. 

The women’s team added seven players in total. Two of their three new guards, Mya Zaccagnini and Spain native Daniel Ciscar, are freshman. Ella Farjado, a Philippine National Team representative and 39% three-point shooter with FDU, is a junior.  

Four forwards were also added to the roster. Sierra DeAngelo, a graduate student, joins after previously starting for Oakland Catholic.  

Two of the three freshmen, Emma Donnelly and Taliya Heron, hail from outside of the U.S., arriving from Australia and Canada, respectively.  

Fellow rookie Zoey Ward averaged 16 points and 2 steals per game in her senior year at the Concord Academy.  

Their final addition was sophomore center Ally Carman from New Jersey, who was a double-digit high school scorer.  

Gearing up for their first season under new head coach Tobin Anderson, the men’s team brought in seven guards. Freshman Jean Aranguren was an AAA Power-5 first team All-League player and the league’s 2022-23 Defensive Player of the Year.  

Freshman Alex Bates IV led United Faith Christian Academy in scoring on 48% from the field and made the NCISAA 1A State championship game.

Graduate student Joel Brown was the starting guard for the University of California, Berkeley, last year, leading the Golden Bears in assists.  

Freshman Rodrigo Farias is a shifty combo guard with a great overall game who represented the Dominican Republic on its 2021-22 U17 FIBA team. Anderson said that Farias and his two-way presence rounds out the men’s roster.

“We are thrilled to have Rodrigo on board with the program,” Anderson said. “We believe he brings a dynamic presence on both offense and defense, and we’re excited.” 

Freshman Jeremiah Quigley was nominated for the McDonald’s All-American Game while leading his team in scoring with over 20 points per game on 54% from the field and 84% from the line.  

The Gaels also signed a pair of guard-forward hybrid players. Junior Greg Gordon averaged a 23-point, 11-rebound double-double and was a 2x NJCAA D1 All-American.  

Six-foot-seven graduate student Wheza Panzo provides utility as a stretch-forward who shot 46.9% from three at Stetson University last season.  

Three forwards are set for their debut campaigns at Iona. Freshman Sultan Adewale was named to the All-Pennsylvania First Team after averaging a 15-point, 10 rebound double-double and represented Great Britain in the FIBA U19 euro championship team.  

Freshman Isaac Brice is a rebound magnet and defensive anchor. After averaging two blocks in Southern Mississippi CC, he was named his high school team’s MVP.  

Lastly, they added freshman sharpshooter Dylan Saunders, a two-time high school Virginia State champ and VHSL Class 3 All-State First Team player thanks to his 14 points, 8 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game.

The Maroon and Gold’s recent additions will hit the court in early November, as the men start their 2023 campaign against the College of Charleston and the women take on the Seton Hall Pirates.