Iona’s ASL Club and Speak and Hearing Club in Walk4Hearing

Photo Credit: @ionaaslclub on Instagram
ASL Club and Speech and Hearing Club attend NYC walk to raise funds to support people with hearing loss and their families.

Sunday was the annual “Walk4Hearing” in New York City. “Walk4Hearing” raises money for individuals with hearing loss that funds local programs, education and resources. ASL Club has attended regularly over the years. They were joined by the university golden chapter of NSSLHA, otherwise known as the Speaking and Hearing Club. The participants boarded a bus to the city. “Walk4Hearing” had a new location this year, taking place at Riverside Park between 83rd and 94th Streets. Registration began at 9:30 a.m. The walk began after 11:15 a.m. for 3.1 miles. This year, the ASL Club raised $483.  

Emily Blattburg ‘25, president of the ASL Club, eagerly waits for “Walk4Hearing” each year.  

JA: How did you feel about the change of location? 

EB: This location was actually where we were two years, which was my first walk. I liked it because it was in a nice park with a lot of trees and shade. Walking on the pier last year was nice because it had a great view, but I feel Riverside Park is much more close knit and homey.  

JA: What is your favorite part of the walk? 

EB: My favorite part of the walk is to just see everyone from the deaf community, seeing the human community come together and raising money for a great cause.  

JA: Is there anything else you want to say or promote for the ASL Club? 

EB: Follow the ASL Club on Instagram @ionaaslclub and try to come to all of our events. Anyone can come regardless of their knowledge of sign and regardless of their major. We hope to see you at our events.