A semester of beginnings and endings

Joseph Ferrer, Arts & Entertainment Editor

The spring semester is finally upon us and as a senior set to graduate in May, this is equally exciting and terrifying. This semester is one where I will have many new experiences that I’ve never had the opportunity to try as well as doing many things for soon to be the last time. This will be the first semester where after four years of being a commuter student, I will be calling Iona truly my home and living on campus. While many of my other peers have already been well accustomed to living on their own, this semester I’ll be getting the experience firsthand and taking advantage of the opportunities that it presents. One of my goals for my last year was to make the most out of the little time I have left on campus and as an extremely active member of the community, living on campus gives me the opportunity to participate even more and spend more time with friends outside of classes. This semester I’ll also be studying abroad over spring break in London which will be the first time I’ve traveled outside of the country somewhat on my own. While I’ve traveled out of the country in the past, this will be the first time going somewhere where my family has no cultural ties or relationship and I’m excited to experience the United Kingdom with a group of good friends in the course.  

As a senior, however, I’ve already experienced some of my final experiences at Iona. Just recently I participated in the involvement fair for the last time which was a bittersweet moment for me as not only has the involvement fair been one of the main ways that I initially got to know many friends in the community as a freshman, but I took pride in being able to help others get involved on campus and see campus engagement on a larger scale. Even outside of this, I’ve already had many annual events from Halloween nights to Christmas parties for the last time.  

However, when May comes, I’ll be getting ready to say goodbye to Iona at graduation. I know that on that day, it’ll potentially be the last day that I see many of the people that I grew to know and love over the past four years. But it’ll also be the start of new life opportunities that await me in the future. I know that the future has great things in store and that moving onto to those new experiences for not just myself but so many others and I’m also excited to see what great things my friends and colleagues accomplish after graduation as well.  

While this will be my last year at Iona I’m glad I was able to have it during the first year of Iona being a university. I’ve had so many exciting opportunities because of it from internships to career opportunities and while it will be sad to say goodbye, I’m happy to have had so many experiences that will last me a lifetime.